Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I change the drain location for my bathroom sink?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I change the drain location for my bathroom sink?

Bathroom Reno

We have ripped out most of our bathroom (we left the tub) and are starting fresh. Now for some reason (seems strange to me) the sink drain was routed to the sidewall through half of the cabinet with open shelves interfering with storage. Now we are installing a drawer bank on that side and I would rather not have to cut my drawer down just to run the drain, as I think I have a better idea.
    This is a main floor bathroom and I have access to the underside of the main floor plumbing through our basement. Now from what I can see under the floor this drain could have easily been routed to come up directly below the sink itself, and it looks like this would have been a more direct line. Now I thought that perhaps this was because this a vent because it has what looks to be a small cleanout below (perhaps it's just a previously capped drain location). But just above it is the recessed medicine cabinet which I removed and so if this was a vent, then it would have to cut through a stud. Later on... I did a little inspecting and found that the pipe does extend up 3' and then does a 90 degree turn and goes through a stud. Amazing what a headlamp and an a little spy mirror will show you.

So three questions...
    So what I was planning on doing was to cap the current drain location coming through the sidewall, and run a new line directly underneath the sink. Can I do this?

Would this new line have to be vented or will it be vented by the line that I'm tying into?

Can I run a wye joint onto this 2" line or should I tie into the 3" line that runs to the toilet?

I attached a couple of pictures. The pic called drain 3 is what things look like in the bathroom. shows the drain going into the sidewall and water pipes sticking up where I want to locate the new drain location.
    Pic called drain2 shows the drain pipe running to the side wall. Pic called drain1 shows where that drain pipe connects into a larger drainline coming from the toilet.

I appreciate any help!! I'm new and found this site while looking for advise on my plumbing situation. But this site is phemonal and I've already learned so much looking through the questions and answers. LazyPup: I can not tell you how nice it is to have someone so knowledgable sharing their info with us newbies!! Much appreciated!

Thanks!

only thing I can figure is that as long as your waste line is below the stack vent and feeds into the drain line there shouldn't be a problem. the vanity sink will get its makeup air through the sink's overflow. the overflow is above the waste trap. the main drain gets its air from the stack riser going to the roof as there are no traps in the waste line.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply HayZee! I'm glad to see that I'm on the right track.

Ok - so I guess a vessel sink won't work then! Good thing this is a reno to help our place sell, and not my pet project! But would it be a good idea to put in a cheater vent as a back up vent to the sink overflow? This is what the guy recommended at our local big box store. (it was the weekend and so a real plumbing shop wasn't open)
      One thing he did mention that made sense to me, was to tie into the original drain line and now into the line running from the toilet, in case of any backup or smell issues.

Thanks again

Comment

check with your building department and your local plumbing code.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =