Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wife wants to relocate washer

Hey everyone. My wife has it in her head that she wants to move our washer and dryer to make a laundry room. Here is the problem. no drain in the room. about 4 feet away through a wall is the main house drain. old soil pipe. thought about breaking it and installing a PVC Tee but that really sucks. Other thought. about 6 feet up is the sink drain from the kitchen that ties in to this main drain. It also includes a cleanout port. My thoughts were to remove the plug in the drain, install a 3-4inch nipple with a T. Cleanout plug on the lower side and a reducing bushing to allow for my washing machine drain on the top. this would put the drain at aobut 6 feet off the floor. washer and dryer would probably be up about 3-4 inches off the floor on a false floor. any problems with this? the kitchen drain runs about 4 feet then 45s into the main drain pipe. i would install a check valve in the top to prevent the kitchen water from running back down.

If this doesn't work or won't work my other thought is to install a sink with a small pump and have everything drain into the sink then up to this pipe. would there be an issue with this? i would prefer the 1st method as i would only need to buy a few pipe fittings and a check valve.

Hi Christopher,

You will need to install a properly vented standpipe for your washer.

Based on what you are saying probably attaching to the main drain.

You might want some experienced help on this...
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

drains are basically gravity flow unless it is impossible to do so like in a basement where the effluent line is at or near eye level. the pump in the washer isn't meant to pump up to a "head" on a drain. that's why drain hoses aren't longer than four feet. as redwood said you need a standpipe for your washer drain. you're gonna need to snap your soil pipe and install a wye using fernco fittings. because cast iron soil pipe is so heavy, make sure you support whatever is above it very securely. you don't want this "column" slipping down!

Comment

Washing machines pumps are manufactured easily to pump water often 8 feet vertically or higher, so the problem with the sink drain isn't the height.

The problem with the sink drain is the size.

Most plumbing codes permit sink drains to be 1 1/2" in diameter but those same codes require washer drains to be a minimum of 2" diameter pipe.

Your only option at this point appears to be tapping into the building drain

Comment

Originally posted by manhattan42 View Post
          Washing machines pumps are manufactured easily to pump water often 8 feet vertically or higher, so the problem with the sink drain isn't the height.

The problem with the sink drain is the size.

Most plumbing codes permit sink drains to be 1 1/2" in diameter but those same codes require washer drains to be a minimum of 2" diameter pipe.

Your only option at this point appears to be tapping into the building drain
          Also many codes require that 2" washer line to run directly to a larger line without other fixtures on it.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Instead of complaining that stupid and not your type of girls text you, isn’t it easier to tell in the profile right away what you expect from the girls so you filter out “stupid and dumb” ones? In the three weeks of communication sites, only 5 profiles nashville personals really caught my attention. Guys, do not miss the chance to make the first impression already in the profile
            Last edited by analeks; 02-04-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =