Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New Flapper Not Working Properly

I just installed a new toilet fill valve and flapper. Now when I try to flush, the flapper drops immediately resulting in the toilet not emptying completely unless I hold down the handle for a couple of seconds. The chain is taut (maybe 1/4" to 1/2" drag) and I can't figure out what else to do to make it flush properly without holding the handle for so long.

what keeps the flapper open is the air bubble inside it. loosen up the chain so there's some slop in it.

Comment

Still Not Working

Thanks for the suggestion. I have adjusted the chain several times, giving it slack and making it taut and everything in between. Regardless, I still have to hold the handle down for a few seconds and wait for the bowl to empty in order to make it work properly. Very frustrating!! The flapper just drops automatically every time.

Comment

A couple of possibilities...

If you used a flapper similar to the one below are you using both the ears on the hooks and the ring to attach it? If so cut the ring off and trow it away.

Another possibility is that you are using a 1.6 GPF flapper on a 3.5 GPF toilet in which case you need the correct flapper...
        I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

I had the same problem as the OP on a Kohler 4634 toilet. Tried installing a new flapper (and ensured I picked the recommended one from Kohler for the model toilet) - didn't work. Tried multiple adjustments to the chain - didn't work. Tried adding a float to the chain -didn't work.

I finally resolved the problem by stuffing the flapper with a partially inflated air balloon (inflate the balloon enough to ensure it can't slip out of the flapper and clog the drain). The air in the balloon holds the flapper up until enough water has escaped from the tank to ensure a full flush.

Now I no longer need to hold the handle down. If you are having this problem, give it a try, it works great!
          Last edited by tpazzi; 04-08-2015, 05:42 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Working...
          X
          =