Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Problems

In my toilet, it continually makes sounds like it is draining. The only thing that I can do to fix it is turn off the water to the toilet, but then I can't use it. I can still flush, and it still performs as a normal toilet, but it wastes loads of water. Does anybody have any advice on how to figure out how to stop it from wasting so much water? If If I figure out how to fix it I will post the solution as a comment, so others can fix their broken toilets.

Is your toilet actually draining or is it constantly filling & running out the overflow pipe? If you shut off your supply valve, does the tank eventually drain or hold its water level? Take the tank cover off so you can see what's going on. It could be your tank fill valve is stuck. If you lift up the float, does the noise stop? Need more information.

Comment

Originally posted by adnadeau View Post
      If you shut off your supply valve, does the tank eventually drain or hold its water level?
      That's a good question, if you turn the source water off at night, it would tell a lot to see how much water is left in the tank in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by adnadeau View Post
        Is your toilet actually draining or is it constantly filling & running out the overflow pipe? If you shut off your supply valve, does the tank eventually drain or hold its water level? Take the tank cover off so you can see what's going on. It could be your tank fill valve is stuck. If you lift up the float, does the noise stop? Need more information.
        The toilet fills up and then drains. When I shut off the supply valve it is still able to flush once, but not twice. When I lift up the float it does not stop. I will try to post a picture of it before the night and after when the source is turned off.

Comment

It drains almost completely every overnight if I do not have the water turned on. When I lift up the float, it does stop the noise. It definitely is draining, but it doesn't drain all the way to the bottom no matter how long I wait.

Comment

It sounds as though the tank water is bypassing the flapper valve. This happens after a number of years when the valve gets brittle. You can get a replacement at most hardware stores. If your flapper is the type with a float on the chain, try to get another one just like it. I tried a universal replacement on my toilet & it would still bypass.

Comment

I replaced the flapper, and it seems to be working fine now. Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =