Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistently squeeky doors

I have a 7-year old house with persistently squeeky hinges on the interior and exterior doors. Lubricating them quiets them briefly (weeks to as short as days). I've tried graphite as well as light oil (Liquid Wrench). When I pull the hinge pins I see alot of deep scarring rings on the pins from the hinges digging into them. This makes me think that when the builder mounted the hinges they were sloppy and didn't worry too much about the hinges all lining up straight with each other. I can't think of a way to slightly adjust the mounting angle of the hinges to get them all straight without it becoming a huge re-work job, and lubricating a bunch of doors every week isn't in the cards either. Any thoughts out there on a solution are appreciated.

lubricate the hinge pins with a semi fluid grease -
    a lithium based grease - say - lubriplate. it will offer a film to glide on and if there is a scar, the grease will flow onto/into the scratch.

Comment

great, how long of a fix does that normally give?

Comment

Thanks HayZee for the suggestion. I followed this suggestion and got a tube of plain old lithium grease at the hardware store. I pulled each pin that was squeaking and put a thin film of grease on it. Guessing from the original date of this post, it must be more than a year now and about 90% of the squeaks are still quiet.

Comment

Think I'll give this a try I hate using WD 40 cause then it leaks all over down the door and on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by motohead View Post
            Thanks HayZee for the suggestion. I followed this suggestion and got a tube of plain old lithium grease at the hardware store. I pulled each pin that was squeaking and put a thin film of grease on it. Guessing from the original date of this post, it must be more than a year now and about 90% of the squeaks are still quiet.
            I also had a squeaking door problem. I used vaseline instead of lithium grease. I now have a different problem: the doors won't stay fully open, they tend to swing about 25-45 degrees closed. I figure the jambs weren't plumbed. Does anyone know of a soluton to this without re-hanging the doors?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =