Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Bath Painting

We have a cement Bird Bath and we have painted it several times and it don't seem to last. Can anyone give me some direction on what type of paint to use on this.

Thank You
    Bob & Laura

Sounds like the surface needed to be prepped better for the finish applied. Any chance you can get it sandblasted? (sounds like that's becoming the favored method!!!lately). As soon as that surface is nicley etched and blown free of dust, you should be able to get most any exterior paint to grab. I would think, though, that an exterior paint for concrete would be best.

Comment

This is a problem with water. Very few paint systems, aside from industrial and marine coatings, can hold up to immersion. Excellent prep work is a must of course, but no matter what architectural paint you use, it will fail. I'm searching for a solution for a customer right now. You might check with me sometime if you havn't found a solution of your own in a bit.

Preston
      pdarvill@emeraldpaint.com

Comment

I also had a cement bird bath that I painted with a paint they said would hold up....no such luck. As Preston said, it's one thing to find a paint to hold up to the weather, but to find one that will tolerate water is another story. Mine bubbled with a week, then started flaking off. I was so disgusted that I filled it with dirt and planted vines and flowers and have gotten tons of compliments on it!

Comment

contact your local paint store and have them get you some swimming pool paint. Swimming pool paint is designed to go on masonary surfaces and work under constant water emersion as well as hold up to high levels of chlorine.

Comment

when i buy a cement birdbath i just don't paint the inside of the bowl where the water goes--pebbles are pretty with marbles on the bottom

Comment

Working...
            X
            =