Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom plaster

Prepairing to install the 'drywall' for this bathroom project. I've read about greenboard and some references to 'hardy' board. The situation so far is all bare studs, ceiling, walls, and floor. The floor will be two layers of 3/4 C/D on the joists. There will be a shower, sink/vanity and of coarse the commode. What would be the best for the ceiling, the walls and the floor? Regular 5/8 for ceiling? Two layers of 1/2" green for the walls? Would Hardy board be better? Of coarse, all joints would be alternated. I have checked the neat site for drywalling by DIY Guy. Great site, by the way!

Why so thick on the sidewalls? Certainly 1/2" would be sufficient!

Comment

The plumbing Code is very specific about bathroom walls.

You may not install water resistant sheetrock (Greenboard) in the shower enclosure if you are installing tile or multi part shower enclosures.

For the shower enclosure area you must install building paper moisture barrier and backerboard (cement board) until the wall is 72" above the finished drain height.

Backerboard requires corrosion resistant fasteners.

All cut edges and fastener heads must be sealed with a water resistant sealer.

All remaining walls must be water resistant sheetrock(Greenboard).

DO NOT install moisture barrier behind the greenboard.

All cut or exposed edges MUST BE sealed with a water resistant sealant.

Greenboard MAY NOT be installed on a ceiling if the framing is greater than 12" on center.

Comment

I was thinking two layers, HayZee, only for better strength for fastening the towel racks, etc. I hated to do it, but had to remove good solid rock lath with two layers troweled on, the final, of coarse, the fine finish coat. It was inch thick and hard as granite! I'm not that good to redo that! But I did like it's strength and 'solidness'. More great information from LazyPup! Thanks for that! I take it that since I am installing a three piece shower (pan and the two walls), that they're applied directly to the studs and that greenboard is on the remaining walls. Since the ceiling is at 16" center then I take it 1/2" regular is preffered for that. You mention that all cut edges must be sealed. Does that apply to the joints even though they'll be taped and otherwise 'sealed' by the joint plaster and paint? If so, what type sealer is used? Is there something special in the 'plaster' section at the local box store to look for? As for corrosion resistant fastners, is that for the whole bathroom or just the shower area?
        Thanks again for the guidance....

Comment

Working...
        X