Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlarging Drywall Cutout

I currently have a cutout in a wall that houses a TV. The cutout is only the thickness of the wall and the TV sits on a shelf behind the wall. Now I have purchased a larger TV and have to widen the cutout. I can do all of the carpenter actions but have a question concerning the drywall replacement. It appears as though I will have to blend the new drywall in the cutout recess to match the existing textured drywall pn the face of the wall. QUESTION.. Do I have to sand the textured area of the existing wall before I tape the corner joint between it and the new drywall in the recess or can I tape over the texture?

If I am reading this right, you will be enlarging the hole and then redrywalling and finishing. On an outside corner, I would use the metal corner bead rather than tape or tape on a corner. You will need a smooth surface about 8-10 inches in from the hole in order to have a nice smooth surface to draw your taping knife over. Then you will have to match the existing texture.

Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    How to tape and finish dryall. Tutorials and videos for taping joints and drywall repair.
    Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
    http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
    X
    =