Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tub installation

I am insalling a new acrylic tub and plan to tile instead of using the optional enclosure.I'm worried that the lip on the acrylic tub is so thick (about 1/4 inch x 1 inch high) that the tile backer board will be pushed out at the bottom creating a curve in the board which will be obvious when the tile is cut to fit.If I use 1/2 inch backing,there will be excessive space behind th tile.What to Do?

are you talking using cement board as a backer? an idea to do is use a masonary blade on a circular saw and make a 1/4 inch rabbett cut on the edge of the cement board so it fits over the lip. just keep making multiple passes until you can break it smooth.

Comment

The Tub should be installed during the roughin and secured to the studding.

The backerboard is then butted against the top edge of the tub apron.

The bottom row of tile then extends below the backerboard bridging the tub apron.

Comment

Thanks,but won't the cement board crumble once I cut through the fiberglass?

Comment

Thanks.My main concern was how or what do I use to stick the tile to the tub itself.I was planning to use a 6x6 tile.Will the mounted surface area on the backer board be enough to let the tile float over the lip without adhesive? Do I use thinset or mastic?

Comment

mastic its waterproof when it's dry

Comment

Working...
            X
            =