Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Decks

Hi all, thinking of adding a deck to the house. This would be a new adventure for me and was wondering if anyone can suggest some of their favorite resources for me to look at. Lots of online stuff available and want to cut to the chase for the good reference material. Also anythoughts on deck design software appreciated. I do have a son that is a carpenter so he can provide carpentry guidence. TIA!

Subbie

I'd suggest first contacting your local inspection department to get the local requirements as these are what rules. They'll inform you as to how deep the peirs need to be sunk in order to avoid frost heave in your area. Pouring concrete into sonotubes and attaching the wood portion of the pier to the top of it with a bracket is the best way to go if building a deck that attaches to your house.

Using pressure treated wood for the foundation and joist is the way to go and I can't stress enough to use a composite decking material for the deck boards and rails instead of wood. Yes, cedar and redwood look nice but the maintenance required is a ton to keep it looking that way.

Below is a good website that'll give you the scoop on the how too's of deck building:
    http://www.decks.com/

And here's a good site that shows how the local codes really dictate what's required.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/decks/

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

there's a program that I've been using for years upon years. originally it was made for the old ANSI system on a 386 computer and has gone through several upgrades making it compatible with windows software. it's called "home plan software" it is written by Chuck Herndon from California. with this you can plan out and draw a deck, stairs, a house complete or just walls. it has pick n choose figures almost like CAD that you can drag into the design field and drop it. it has plumbing parts, electrical symbols, landscape figures, office furniture etc.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =