Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Summer Casualty

First official day of Summer, the heat is in the 90's where I live, so I do the usual to cut down on it by running my gable exhaust fan for a few hours. Yesterday, ran fine and today, threw the switch and nada. First time having to work on this issue, and yes, it is an older home. Looks pretty used up, so I was wondering what to check to see if it is still working or just too old and gave out. It is wired to a switch just below the attic and it is spliced into an attic light as well. The attic light still works but the fan doesn't. Would any experienced roofing or electrical pros care to weigh in on this???

before you give up the ghost on the fan, try rotating the blades. look for lubrication holes on the end bells. use a light machine oil to lube it. if its a belt drive replace the belt(s) the heat from the attic will crack them. lube the fan bearings as above. look at the motor to see if its thermally protected. these are internal devices that supposed to reset after tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      before you give up the ghost on the fan, try rotating the blades. look for lubrication holes on the end bells. use a light machine oil to lube it. if its a belt drive replace the belt(s) the heat from the attic will crack them. lube the fan bearings as above. look at the motor to see if its thermally protected. these are internal devices that supposed to reset after tripping.
      Thanks for the response. When I have time in the next day or two, I will go up there and check all of those things. Then, I am sure, I will not only have a better understanding when I actually have it in front of me.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =