Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a rafter, question.

This post is similar to abarrie's post in may, but that post kinda ended.

I started to rip out some dead cedar siding on the side of my house and discovered a rottten 2x10. My roof is flat and rafters are spaced every 18" or so.

My question: can I just pull that 2x10 out safely? Is it supporting so much weight that when I remove it the roof will collapse? I don't think so, but want to check before I do something stupid.

The entire 2x10 isn't rotten. Just about 1' out of 10'.

thanks, for any advise,
    Jeremy

if a good portion was rotted I'd say pull it out, but if its just a foot or so, sister another joist and bolt together

Comment

That is a good idea. I think I may do that. Thee only problem is that it is on the end. I will have somehow get thee sister inside. I will figure it out.

Thanks for the advise. I was really wondering if I was out of my league or not.

-J

Comment

You don't need to sister an entire 10' piece on. If it's just a 1' section then you could easily get away with 2 x 6' sections (one either side) install the two new pieces either side of the damaged section, 1/2" coach bolts on max. 12" centers stagger the drill holes (one up next one down) min. 1 1/4" of either the top or bottom edges.
        Make sure the roof doesn't have any sag when you drill and bolt it all together.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks, all of that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =