Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing front porch

This is my first post on here to see if i can get some advise of replacing my porch. I have a 10x6 porch with 2 4x4's on the front corners holding up the roof above. I need to replace the support beams and the floor at the same time. I have to do this on my own since I cannot find any help. I ran this past my brother and he told me I was an idiot and doing it wrong. Since I am by myself I did not want to get 2x12's and put them in the ground. The main reason is that the posts have actually sunk past the plywood flooring by about 3 inches. Needless to say I have to jack up the roof to make it level again. My plan was this: I can cut thru the plywood floor about a foot and a half away from the corner posts. Remove the plywood from that cut over to the house so about 5 feet of empty space is there. After cutting away the plywood i would put down my decking boards where the plywood was and secure it down to the joists. After I fill the void in with the decking i would put a 3 ton car jack on the new decking close to the edge where i stopped cutting the plywood flooring. I would screw together 2 2x4's and put them from the jack on either side to the beam in the roof for the support. This way I can make minute adjustments to the level of the roof, plus be able to remove the rest of the flooring and the beams while the weight of the roof is on the jacks. Once I replace the flooring I can put the new beams in place and secure them to the decking and give the roof weight to them with lowering the jacks. A few people I talked to said you are going to kill yourself with the roof. I cant get any help from them, just criticism. Does anyone think this is the best way to go when I have to do this solo? Thanks for reading my long post about this. Hopefully I can get some insight to this problem. I can post pictures later if need be.

I'm going to start out with my best advice :

Get someone experienced to do this repair !!! this is most certainly NOT for an inexperienced person.

Okay now that's said, when you say " support beams" do you mean that the decking,floor joists and corner posts need replacing only ? if so then you can use 2 x 12's with a notch cut in the top of them positioned at an angle to push up into the roof framing to support it while the deck area is repaired, then you can use your jack placed on the new deck to lift up the roof and install the corner posts.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =