Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fascia replacement

i have wood fascia boards on my 40 yr.old home and some have rotted out.
    i need the scoop on how to replace them with out having to tear out the roof edging

Removing the old facia without disturbing the dripedge will be pretty easy. Loosen the bottom of the trim board and remove whatever nails you can see. You might have to split the board and take it out in pieces. The problem will be all the nails left sticking out from the roof. The majority will be going up the rake of the roof on the gable ends. You'll have nails from the shingles, dripedge, and sheathing. To remove the nails from the shingles and dripedge, break the tar seal on the edge of shingle. Gently lift the shingle to expose nail head. Using pliers push the nail through the roof from underneath. Pull the nail out the rest of the the way with a pry bar from above. For the nails going through the plywood, grab the nail with pliers, rock back and forth, breaking it off. Once you have all the nails out you can just slip the new board in. Dont forget to renail the edges of shingles and seal any holes. You might want to look into a rot resistant composite trim board like Aztec, and theres other brands too. Or having it capped with aluminum sheet metal. This is a pretty time consuming project, prolly a couple weekends for an average sized house.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =