Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asphalt shingle "stickum"

I was wondering if anyone ever removed the thin, transparent strips over the glue that is supposed to lock the shingles down. When my dad built his house in the 50's, the shingles did not come with the adhesive. After the shingles had been down for 25 years, I lifted each one up and applied a strip of roofing cement just back of the edge. The shingles lasted for another 15 years.

When we replaced the shingles, they came with the adhesive already applied, and we did not remove the thin strip over the adhesive. My mother has had a lot more trouble with these shingles blowing off. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile removing these strips the next time.

TIA, Brady

I would see why not! They are there to keep the sheets from sticking together in the bundle. Who knows how long the bundles are stacked in the lumberyard!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The instructions do not say anything about removing it. How many, if any, of you do actually remove it?

TIA, Brady

Comment

Shingles....

I have always removed those clear plastics. The shingle tabs won't adhere with it still in place. Kind of like trying to apply a band-aid without taking off the plastic from the adhesive.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I will be removing them the next time. I just hope they don't blow all over the neighborhood. Are they biodegradable?
          Brady

Comment

I don't think they are but may get brittle over years.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =