Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood siding over aluminum siding

We have a mobile home 12x 60 attached to our stick built home and want to continue the wood siding to it.
    My question is "Is it possible to do this without removing the Aluminum siding?
    We intend to put on a vapor shield and celatex insulation and then the wood siding.
    Help! Winter is coming and I am tired of being cold
    Thanks

take a look at an inconspicuous area if the sheathing of the mobile home part is wood or osb. - if its osb I'd rip it all off and then do your wood siding. Its kinda difficult to lay insulboard down over aluminum and then siding not knowing what the substrate is.

Comment

Do it once and the right way. It's not difficult to remove old siding and it will be MUCH EASIER to install new siding. Did I mention that you can make few $ on scrap aluminum ...it will pay for part of your new project?

Comment

Does the mobile home have insulated walls now? Is there currently a vapour barrier under the drywall/wallboard? What I am getting at is if you put a vapour barier between two layers of insulation the warm moist air that enters into the wall cavity will hit the new vapour barrier which is colder and will drop it's moisture right there. This will cause your wall to rot and other not so nice problems. I think you would be better off to skip the vapour barrier on the outside but instead use a house wrap between the new insulation and the new siding. Also have the new siding furred (with vertical strapping) out away from the barrier to allow air flow behind. IMHO

Good luck, Jim
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
        X
        =