Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie needs help selecting right tools for wood siding

Hello all, I want to install new wood siding on my mothers house but I am not sure which tool to use. I was looking at two types 1. the Bostitch F21PL-21 Degree Plastic Collated Framing Nailer (there website states that this tool can also do siding but did not specify "wood" or "vinyl") and the N66C-Coil Siding Nailer (from what I can tell this one seems "purpose built" just for wood siding)

So heres the thing; I can just drive 20 min. to "Lowes" and pick up (the F21PL-21) right-away but the other (the N66C-Coil Siding Nailer) I will have to order + it will cost slightly close to a hundred dollars more to purchase.

So can I get the framing nailer for my wood siding needs (and use it for other purposes; decking, fencing etc...) or get the one that seems purpose built for wood siding? I'm just trying to keep from buying more than one tool- at least for the moment.

Thanks.

why get an air powered tool for siding? you stand a greater risk of splitting the clapboards. cedar siding is 5 inches wide with a 3-4 inch reveal

Comment

Well I will be doing this on my own and wanted to make this as easy on me as possible. I was not aware using air tools could damage the wood. you have to forgive me I am very new to the whole siding thing but I figured if they make air tools for siding isn't there a way to use those tools without damaging the wood?

Also what other way can you get the siding on other the manually hammering the nails in.

Like I said before I am very new to this so these question may seem a bit goofy to everyone.

thanks for the reply.

Comment

Are you suggesting that I use Ceder siding if I wanted to use the air tool?

Comment

no, I'm not suggesting cedar siding. you could use a second run of siding. siding can be fastened withh 2 1/2 inch nails or even two inch. framing nailers set the nails below the surface of the wood. coil nailers also set the nailhead below the surface, so you'll be going back over them with a putty to fill in the nail holes. a regular hammer you can adjust the penetration of nailing. for siding you start with a double run from the bottom and determine your reveal [the part you see] then you make a [story pole] a horizontal board nailed at the height you want your clapboards to go. you set your clapboards on this storyboard (pole) and nail through the thick part of the siding about a 1/2 inch from the edge.

Comment

Now I understand-thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =