Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimmney problems

long story house built 15yrs ago, wood burning stove in living room, ranch style house with center part of roof about 30 ft, 2 drop down roofs on each side 13 ft each, hope ya can picture the roof type im refering to, ok the chimmney is on front side of house,sits on the garage slab, cleanout in garage too, chimmney goes thru roof on front side between garage and the center high section of roof, extends about 2 ft above the tallest part of roof, ok my problem is, smoke or cresote or both i guess has ran down the outside of the bricks and stained the heck outa the shingles, my brick guy said to take another chimmney liner up there and glue it onto of the other to extend it up more and see what happens, so i cut a liner about 14 inches, cause i belive a full 2 ft the wind would for sure knock it off, would anyone think that maybe it isnt tall enuff and the smoke is blowing back under the eve and then settling onto the shingles? i could see this happeing but why would the brick on the chimmney be so black? the shingles are pretty much shot anyhow now, but im wanting to go with a metal roof and i have to get the chimmney fix before i do a new roof. any advise guys or gals?? thanks alot in advance, ohh oday i took muradic acid up there and cleaned the bricks up after i extended the chimmeny 1 inches, so maybe now i can see if it continues, thanksagain

Please explain; what is a "long story house" ???
    Also ,we have never heard of "muradic" acid

Comment

oops, i meant it was a long story..... and muratic acid is the stuff you clean the bricks with after you lay them to clean off the exess mortor, hope this helps

Comment

That's MURIATIC acid, not Muradic or Muratic.

A Chimney, when PROPERLY installed to suit most (If not all) CODES SHOULD BE A MINIMUM OF 2 FT. ABOVE A ROOF STRUCTURE OR SURFACE that is WITHIN A HORIZONTAL DISTANCE OF 10 FT FROM THE CHIMNEY.
        We hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for the reply, the chimmney is more than 2 ft above the tallest part of roof, but i guess its the wind that pulls the smoke down around the eve letting the smoke settle on the shingles, i belive im gonna get the bricklayer to just extend my chimmney on up maybe 2 more feet, because its time for a new roof and i want to go with a metal roof, so i need this problem fixed before i do the metal roof,
          again thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =