Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage door header replacement, problem?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door header replacement, problem?

I just replaced and at the same time made my garage door opening bigger. The original garage door was 6'9". and we replaced it with a 7' door. The original header was a 2X8 that was doubled. We cut it out and put in a double 2X6. It is a two car garage that has 2 seperate doors. It is one floor with an attic. My neighbor said that the header was supporting the roof overhang, my question is, do you think that the 2X6's will be good enough to not cause any problems? I have not noticed any problems and the removal and installation went pretty smooth, I also needed a higher door for the garage, my truck did not fit before. I will need to do the other door this week and was wondering if I should go about it the same way or should I do it differently? Thanks

2X6 shoulld be enough for a roof load. what is your pitch? if it's pretty much a download you should be ok. a real "grave" pitch will tend to push your walls outward at the top.

Comment

My mistake, the original header was not 2X8, it was 2X12. I am not sure what type of pitch, maybe I can email you a picture of the roof?

Comment

ok, you know how to measure pitch? it is essentially distance up by distance out. a right triangle times two. 5/12 is five feet up and twelve feet out.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =