Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just took loosened the outer housing of the upper half and found that beneath the styrofoam insulation near the top of the unit there is a hole - about the size of a BB. Not sure if its a a fastening that's corroded or if something broke through form the inside. may try to workm some liquid cement into it.

Comment

Hello everyone I have a 444in sink erator and I poured some food down the disposal turn it on and the sink on both sides became clogged with what I put in the disposal,do I need to reset or empty the disposal ? Could anyone help ?

Comment

Hi,

After going through the reviews here, I tried using the Allen wrench but no help. The garbage disposal just humms, but doesn't spin. I can put my hand inside and spin both the blades as well as the disc. When I turn on the switch, it humms, then resets and the cycle just continues with no help. Any other ideas?
        [?]

Comment

Folks,

I gave 1 turn with Allen wrench (1/4 Inch) and hit the red RESET button and Badger 1 WORKED FOR ME.

Thnaks All.

V

Comment

Hi all,

I want to thank all of you soooooooo much for this forum! I had a problem with my Badger 5 garbage disposal unit (humming but no spinning). I hit the reset button but that didn't help, so I did a google search and found this forum. I found this topic and used an Allen wrench to fix the problem within 3 minutes of reading what other had written here. All of you are awesome!!!!

Bob

P.S. I probably won't be able to help too many people on this forum because I'm not a home repair guru, but if you are a Spamihilator user (it is free anti-spam software), you can usually find me somewhere on http://www.spamihilator.com/forum/ ... especially in the English forum. :-)

Comment

Bob,

Glad you were able to solve your problem. Welcome to the forum!
              Try

Comment

The reset button is a circuit breaker that cuts off the power at a preset overload. If the motor is humming, the reset is on and you are getting power to the motor. Most likely something is jambed in the rotor/cutter assembly. Most Badger disposals have an allen wrench socket on the bottom of the motor shaft on the bottomof the motor housing. Badger supplies an allen tool with each unit and a small vinyl pouch to hold the tool. Look on the side of your unit and you may have one.
                CAUTION,,MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE POWER BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TURN THE MOTOR SHAFT. If your unit is connected to a plug under the sink, unplug it. If it is hardwired, find the correct circuit breaker in your panel and switch it OFF until you have cleared the problem.
                If you have the tool, or an appropriate allen wrench, put the wrench into the socket and try rocking it back and forth. If it is difficult to turn, or if it will not turn, something is jamming the machine.
                If you do not have the tool you can rotate the cutter plate by means of a disposal wrench, or if a disposal wrench is not available, a wooden stick through the sink drain opening. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT YOUR YOUR HAND IN THE DISPOSAL. Often you can use a flashlight to look inside and you will see whatever is caught in the rotor. If you see something use a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and pull it out. But once again, do not ever put your hand in the garbage disposal drain or serious injury can occur.
                quote:Originally posted by tigger

I too am having trouble with my Badger disposal, it hums and sucks power, but won't spin. A couple of years ago, the maintenence guy showed me a reset button on the thing, but for the life of me, I can't find it ANYWHERE!

Help?

When in doubt; Dance!

Comment

I want to thank y'all for the great tip. I had never looked at the bottom of an insinkerator before tonight and I got it working in minutes but after first looking on the internet what a danged allen wrench looks like :-)

Comment

[?] Hello, I have read all 3 pages of the hints on this topic but I don't see the answer to my problem. I have a GE 1/2 horse power GD that is LOUD and has started growling at me so I'm replacing it. I can't figure out what is making it growl so LOUDLY, the blades aren't stuck, it isn't clogged and it works fine. It's just become very LOUD and I can't stand using it any longer.
                    I have looked at Consumer Reports comparison of GDs and I can't tell from their testing which GDs are quiet. Could someone recommend a model that is quiet, 3/4 hp?
                    Also, I'm thinking about getting a batch food instead of a continuous feed. I'm thinking this will cut down on the noise as well but I'd like to know if they are well liked by homeowners. What advice can you give me?

Comment

[?] Hello, I have read all 3 pages of the hints on this topic but I don't see the answer to my problem. I have a GE 1/2 horse power GD that is LOUD and has started growling at me so I'm replacing it. I can't figure out what is making it growl so LOUDLY, the blades aren't stuck, it isn't clogged and it works fine. It's just become very LOUD and I can't stand using it any longer.
                      I have looked at Consumer Reports comparison of GDs and I can't tell from their testing which GDs are quiet. Could someone recommend a model that is quiet, 3/4 hp?
                      Also, I'm thinking about getting a batch food instead of a continuous feed. I'm thinking this will cut down on the noise as well but I'd like to know if they are well liked by homeowners. What advice can you give me?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by UCJefe

Woo hoo. I have officially fixed my first garbage disposal... I should celebrate. I still have no idea what was blocking the blades but after throwing some muscle behind the Allen wrench, I am back in business. :-)

Comment

Woo hoo, me too. Thank you, thank you. FYI, use the 1/4 size allen wrench.
                          quote:Originally posted by UCJefe

Woo hoo. I have officially fixed my first garbage disposal... I should celebrate. I still have no idea what was blocking the blades but after throwing some muscle behind the Allen wrench, I am back in business. :-)

Comment

I am having the same problem with my disposal and the allen wrench turns but then freezes up again. Any ideas?

Comment

i reade in many posts that people have put their hands into the throat of the disposal to check it out.....CAUTION, NEVER PUT YOUR HAND IN THE DISPOSAL... God forbid you should effectively get it to turn while your hand is in there, it would tear your hand off...first rule of thumb, never put any portion of your anatomy, hand, finger or whatever below the rubber flapper. Most new garbage disposals have a allen wrench socket on the bottom of the motor accessible from underneath. They also pack the appropriate allen wrench disposal tool along with a small self stick vinyl storage case for it with new disposals. When installing a disposal you should be careful to attach that case and hang the wrench on the side of the unit for future use in the event something gets stuck in it. If you do not have the wrench replacement disposals wrenchs are available at most hardware or home improvment stores.[u]</u>

Comment

Just found this forum and am very excited. Hopefully someone out there can help.

Here's the problem.....Badger garbage disposal in a singel sink. Water in sink will not drain unless I turn on the garbage disposal. When I turn it on, the water goes away, however I can still see some water remaining in the reservoir. Also, water from the dishwasher backs up into the sink, unless I run the disposal. I have tried 'liquid plumber' products for disposals with no results. I removed the P trap and found no obstruction. And I removed the outtake pipe from the disposal to the P trap and again found no obstruction. Also, no obstruction in the hose from the dishwasher to the disposal.

So....where is the clog? How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =