X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! It worked for me!

quote:Originally posted by Maintenance Man

Hi angel_in_hiding01850

If the Disposal won't drain then you either have a blockage in the lower part of the disposal(drain chamber) or (usually) the drain line from the Disposal is blocked.

If you have a double sink then the pipe from the Disposal to the drainer side is blocked. The pipe can be cleaned out with a sink plunger.

Try this:
    1 Remove the Dishwasher vent cover (the chrome or gold plug on the sink top) to expose the plastic vent, cover this with a latex glove and replace the cover.
    2 Plug the drainer side of the sink with either the stopper or wet rags held in place.
    3 Quarter fill the Disposal side of the sink with water. Now get your plunger ready, next flip the Disposal on and use the plunger to pump like crazy. The combined efforts of the suction from the Disposal and the plunger is usually enough to break the blockege in the drain pipe. Don't panic if the latex glove on the Dishwasher vent starts to "breathe" in time with the plunges.

If this clears the pipe, well done, don't forget to run water down the Disposal for at least 30 seconds to flush away the debris.

If it's still blocked you with have to remove the drain pipe and manually unblock it sometimes the connector from the Disposal pipe to the main drain gets blocked remember to check there as well. I've been an Maintenance Manager for several years and I've never seen a blocked Disposal drain chamber, it's usually in the pipework.

Good Luck.

Comment

Glad you solved your problem, NoTalent! Welcome to the forum!
      Try

Comment

Ellenfaith...if you disposal is humming and tripping the overload, but it turns free when you put a disposal wrench in the socket on the bottom of the shaft then your problem is more than likely a short in the motor winding. In that case you will have to replace the unit.

Comment

Hi, I have a Badger 5 and here is the problem: Last night, the blades did not turn and after sticking in my hand to rotate the motor (I unpluged the cord first) it moved. It seems to be working but then this morning when I was using the disposal I found the water come out straight down from the bottom of the disposal (from the bottom panel). There is no leak on all side joints. Can somebody help? (I found the allen ranch hole after reading all the entries above and I should have come to this forum before last night.) Is it damaged? Do I need to replace the disposal?

Thanks.

gys2004

Comment

Thanks for the help. My disposal was stuck (Badger 1). I turned the blades with a wrench and the blades would turn freely, but it still did not solve the problem. There was nothing visibly jamming the blades. It would only make a humming noise for a few seconds before tripping its breaker. I went to the store to get a 1/4" Allen Wrench (hex wrench), as suggested in this forum, and came home and stuck it in the hole in middle of the bottom of the unit and gave it a strong turn. Immediately, I could tell that something worked free. I then pushed the red reset button (also on the bottom of the unit) to reset the breaker and now it works great! Once I had the 1/4 inch Allen Wrench I fixed the darn thing in less than a minute.

Thanks for the help!
            It is such a rewarding feeling to be learning how to fix some of these things and saving big bucks in terms of repair.

Michael

quote:Originally posted by Ven

Folks,

I gave 1 turn with Allen wrench (1/4 Inch) and hit the red RESET button and Badger 1 WORKED FOR ME.

Thnaks All.

V

Comment

Just bought a Badger 1 -- and I have a question: Are some disposals made specifically for people who DON'T have dishwashers? I see that where there should be a hole for dishwasher drainage is solid plastic.

Thanks for any help. [:I]

Comment

There should be a small port on the side, it will have a solid plastic plug in it. You need to take a hammer and a screwdriver and knock it out so you can connect your DW drain to it. Here's a link that'll show you some pictures of how to do it. Your installation instructions should also address it, take a look, maybe you missed it. Hope this helps.

Comment

I also have a Badger 5 that is leaking slowly through the bottom. Any advice on how to fix this without replacing the unit?

Thanks

---------------------------------------

quote:Originally posted by gys2004

Hi, I have a Badger 5 and here is the problem: Last night, the blades did not turn and after sticking in my hand to rotate the motor (I unpluged the cord first) it moved. It seems to be working but then this morning when I was using the disposal I found the water come out straight down from the bottom of the disposal (from the bottom panel). There is no leak on all side joints. Can somebody help? (I found the allen ranch hole after reading all the entries above and I should have come to this forum before last night.) Is it damaged? Do I need to replace the disposal?

Thanks.

gys2004

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hushpuppy

Well I just saved my mom alot of money. I am 16, used the allen wrench method and bingo it was fixed. I am not the kind that can fix much. My mo was thrilled. Thanks Alot! CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON
                    [:X]Like you I definitely am not able to fix things around the house. I am a self employed stay-at-home "domestic engineer" that just fixed our Badger 5 with the allen wrench. Surprised my husband for sure but saved us the cost of a new one. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations!
                      Try

Comment

I have an in-sink-erator that has become jammed. I found change that my two year old had thrown in the other side of the sink so I did a search for it on the disposal side and sure enough, I found a dime wedged in between the wall of the disposer and the round thing in the middle. I have tried removing it with pliers but it is wedged in too tightly. It is very difficult (almost impossible) to turn through the bottom with an allen wrench. I am very stubborn though so I am wondering if it is better to try to get it out with the pliers or with turning the allen wrench? Which route would give me the greatest chance for success?

Thank you,
                        Michelle

Comment

I had a coin stuck in my Badger 5 disposal. Tried everything to get it out. I used the wrench and turned it hard enough that the disposal detached from the sink. The lower mounting ring is detached from the disposal unit. Is there some way to reattach the mounting ring, or do I need to replace the entire unit?

The ring is larger than the unit and doesn't snap back on.

Help!!

md

Comment

Michelle,

Deja vu... I had the same problem, but mine was a nickel. I had it happen to me once before and got the nickel out. The second time this happened I couldn't get it out. I kept using the wrench and eventually the unit broke off. Be careful you don't have to turn the wrench too hard. There were a few times when I used the wrench that the coin wasn't wedged in, but I still couldn't get it out. Someone at work suggested using gum to try to pull it out. When mine broke off, I turned it upside down and a dime fell out. I shook it a few times and eventually the nickle fell out. I see your post is from last week, so I hope you've already solved your problem.

Michelle

md

Comment

an internal fire alarm test allowed me to dump about 200 pennies, dimes and nickles down my kitchen disposal. short of a long stick and some bubble gum, is there a better makeshift tool that will retrieve the blessed coins? no, my hand's too fat to fit the sink's neck. thanks.

Comment

Here is a tip for those of you who have bought the allen wrench for the disposal. Take a couple minutes to tape the wrench to the inside of the cabinet or on the disposal cord, then the next time you need it you will know exactly where it is. Those wrences have a way of dissappearing if you toss it in the kitchen junk drawer like most people do.

If you are installing a new disposal most of them come with a disposal wrench packed in the kit. Look in the bag with the direction sheet and you should find a small white vinyl sleeve with a self stick peel off backing. Peel the backing and stick that vinyl pocket on the side of the disposal, then put the wrench in the pocker for future use.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =