Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW thanks for the speedy reply. Right now it is silent so the "ghost" knows I am on to him.

Comment

Why do you suppose the GE people did not question this?
      Maybe they figured it out for them self? Maybe they're just some call answer center operator in India and/or just didn't know any better?

Is PSI23SC covered on these recalls?
      1. It is not a "recall" (see one of my previous messages) and if you used that term may have gotten the correct answer, "There is no recall regarding your model....".

2. I am not a GE factory service agent and am not privy to their internal documents regarding service. You can see part of a letter that was posted on-line by someone regarding this particular problem at the following link.

LINK > Dear GE Customer Care Centers...

I do not know which exact models are covered by their 'field rework program' regarding the noise problem, sorry. The above letter states the models affected are SxS, bottom freezer and French door models produced between December 2004 and August 2006. I don't know if that covers all such models or not.

You can date your appliances using the service at the following link:

LINK > Appliance Date Code Search

JFYI

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Trying again

Thanks Again,
        I found 3 possible dates for the manufacturing of the fridge. I am going to try again withthe new number and probe for more info.

Comment

I found 3 possible dates for the manufacturing of the fridge.
          GE appliances use the same date codes in 12(?) year cycles. A combination of serial and model is needed to pinpoint which is applicable. Your particular model is not that old of a design so any dates more than 10-years old can likely be totally discounted.

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I had a motherboard failure on my 4 year old PSS26SGRC. Does anyone have the recall(or field....) document? GE claims it is not part of it and would not cover it.

Comment

check with customer service

If you want to know if your model is covered you will probably need to check with GE at 1-800-386-1215. You may be dissappointed. I have been on the phne for hours. I recently had some very helpful assistance but all I could get was a 50% discount on the cost of the board and no acknowledgement that there is an issue with the boards. I am calling my repair man.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholjl View Post
                If you want to know if your model is covered you will probably need to check with GE at 1-800-386-1215. You may be dissappointed. I have been on the phne for hours. I recently had some very helpful assistance but all I could get was a 50% discount on the cost of the board and no acknowledgement that there is an issue with the boards. I am calling my repair man.
                I did call them and was told mine was not part of the recall. If I had not purchased the board already, I was told they could have offered me 50% discount.

Comment

It's over

I finally broke down and called GE service. A very nice efficient young man came and knew exactly what was up. It was fixed in 5 minutes (the board replaced) for a package deal.
                  Over and out

Comment

Originally posted by nicholjl View Post
                    I finally broke down and called GE service. A very nice efficient young man came and knew exactly what was up. It was fixed in 5 minutes (the board replaced) for a package deal.
                    Over and out

Do you care to share how much was it(labor+parts)?

Comment

ge howling noise

Finally, finally after 8 months we couldn't take it, so called and ge tech came out. Immediately indicated it was the high-speed gear of the motor. Gave quote of approx $200 - fine, anything to get rid of the noise. He went to the truck, came back with a new control panel, put it in (instead of motor), said no charge, and was out the door in 10 minutes. Silence is truly golden!

Comment

GE Refrigerator Howling

I had (note the past tense ) an intermittent howling noise from our GE model GSH25JFTA CC. Over several months I had removed, defrosted, and dried the ice maker and the condenser fan to try to resolve the problem with no success.

I did a Google groups search and found this forum and grasped the concept of the faulty motor control board causing the fan to run at a speed that created the howling sound.

I called GE parts, explained the problem and the forum's info that the replacement would be free (a bluff) and received the response that the board was ~$80 + shipping, and no deal on the known problem free replacement scenario. The parts person said I could talk to Customer Relations, I said I would like to take that route, and she connected me.

A bit of a wait but made contact with Customer Relations. I thought I would take the strong approach, identifying my name, model, serial number and the problem, and that I felt STRONGLY that this is a known problem and in my opinion is a manufacturing defect and that I would like the replacement board free of charge.

The courteous rep identified that my serial number was 3+ years, confirmed my home address, and asked if there would be anything else GE could provide. I said no, thank you and have a great day.

To my surprise, the board arrived the next day (wow). I expected to receive it by slow boat, but next day was great.

I installed the board following the included installation sheet in 10 minutes (including vacuuming up the dust under the unit) and voila, the unit sounds like new.

I hope this approach works for everyone. If you can use a screwdriver, you can put the board in yourself, no need to schedule and wait for a technician.

Thank you General Electric for standing behind your products.

Comment

Same howling program

I am having the same howling program what forum did you refer to when you called GE? What was the cost of the board?

Comment

No guarantee that the replacement board will work. GE has replaced the fan and motor twice on my 2 year old french door bottom freezer refrigerator, and recently replaced the board, with no success.

Now the extended warrantee people state that noise is not a reason for the refrigerator to be declared unrepairable even though GE is not able to repair it.

Does anyone have any suggestions re dealing with this situation?

Comment

Thanks for the information posted. I have been hearing a small humming niose on occasion for the past year. At first, I thought it may be the wind outside or something from the roof since we went through Hurricane Ike last year. Recently it has gotten a little louder and more frequent so I decided to investigate more and realized it was the freezer in my side by side GE. (Of course, I bought my GE 5 years and 1 month ago when I moved in and the warranty is up by that month.) I figured it was my bad luck. But after reading these post I realized it may be the dust since I also recently got a maid (who cleans way deeper than my bachelor self does). I noticed that when I turned off the freezer for a minute or two the noise would go away for an hour or so but would come back amd be more constant and annoying. After reading this posted information, I turned it off for 20 minutes and it fixed it. I have not heard the humming noise for a few weeks.

I am a bit of a handy man but not when it comes to Refrigerators. I am sure that it would have cost me a minumum of a several hundred dollars for a "honest" (??) repair man to tell me something more was wrong, i.e. the compressor or even worse. Even worse, I probably would have moved the humming refrigerator to the garage (for extra beer, uh I mean, cold beverage storage) and bought a new one.

Thanks for all the questions and answers. It is nice to know that there are people out there that can be honest and helpful. God Bless!~

Comment

howling noise side by side refrigerator

I purchased a side by side refrigerator in 2006 model #gsl25jfrf bs. After a year it started making this howling noise coming from the frezzer area. I read all the posts online about a possible defective fan in the frezzer or the main control board located behind the refrigerator. I tried lubricating the fan but it did not work. After many months of listening to that annoying sound I decided to change the main control board. I order from Appliancepartspros.com paid $134 s&h for the part. Changing the part takes about 20 minutes. Disconnect the power. Remove the rear cover. Gently pull each connector. Next is removing the board. Four plastic fasterners hold the board. ( I used a small flat tip screw driver and carefully work to realease the board) . Install new main board. The only difference with the new main board was ground wire(green) has a different connector which attaches to the refrigerator. The solution is to use a wire connector. Pig tail the new wire with the old one. Today is day 3 since I changed the main control board and the fan has been working normally. There is total silence in the house. Thank you to all who posted their problems and solutions in this site.
                                Last edited by rojas; 01-17-2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =