Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-painting the basement

Hi, I've read through many of the answers regarding painting on cement, but wanted to know if any of you have experience with re-painting. I'm sure this is latex paint that is down now, but it's old (~40yrs), looks good, but has been worn and I'd just like to change it. I know there are places where there is an occasional, small amount moisture, mostly with heavy rains and mostly in corners. Would there be any chance I could just use another latex on top of this if I clean it really well? I do believe it was 'concrete' paint that was used, but can't be sure. Anyone have a specific brand that has worked better than another?
    Thanks so much for your time.

As long as the paint is firm to the wall and not flaking off you could just re paint with a good quality latex paint. Preparation will be the key to a good job, clean the surface down well before applying a new coat.
    You could also paint with drylock a water barrier paint if you want to try to stop the moisture entering the basement.
    WARNING: drylock will give a very textured finish to the walls that is not easily removable, so think carefully before taking this option.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Damp walls.....

Had that moisture issue in a past house. At the corners just as you said. It kinda looks like a Christmas tree where it's narrow at the top and gets wider near the floor. I found the moisture occured only where there was a downspout. The spout ends were only the stubs about 4 inches long. I added three foot extenders to them and that problem was immediately cured! I also painted the wall with Add-Rock. Went on with a wall paper paste brush. Very heavy and gave a textured look and feel, just as Pushkins says. Didn't have anymore problems after that. Oh yeah, the walls were already painted and a lot of that was flaking off due to the fluorescing from the water. Had to scrape and wire brush 'till I met hard surface, painted or not.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =