Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to cut backer board?

I'm installing a new floor in a downstairs bathroom on the existing joists. The old floor was completely removed and will be getting 3/4 plywood and then backer board on top of that.

Aside from cutting the backer board to fit the whole floor area (5x9) I will need to cut holes for the shower drain, toilet and sink.

Is there a hole cut tool for cement backer? And what about cutting to size?

use a carbide holesaw - the price will knock yer socks off but its the best way

Comment

I've never tried this, but I read in a book where you can drill a series of 3/16" diameter holes around the perimeter of the hole and punch out the hole with a hammer. I imagine a masonary bit would be necessary.

Comment

Get yourself a masonry blade for your circular saw, that's the easiest way or you can by a backer board scoring knife for about $10 at Lowe's/Home Depot.
        If you use the masonry blade in an old circular saw, cut a series of lines in the middle of your circle from one side to the other then you can simply score the circle perimeter with a sharp (not for long) Stanley knife and bend the pieces out.
        Ideally I use a Rotozip with a masonry blade to do smaller holes.

NOTE wear a mask if your using the saw.
        Last edited by pushkins; 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Backerboard Shear

If you cut the backerboard with a circular saw, wear a respirator mask and use a fan to blow away the cement dust. Breathing it is easy at first. Somwhere in the middle of the night your throat will start hurting and bleeding. I use a backerboard shear, they cost about $300 and do a real clean and relatively dustless job. Home Depot and Lowes sometimes have a board called TILE BACKER board. It is gyspum based... has a rough blue colored waterproof front, can be cut with a knife just like sheetrock, however it will hold up much longer than Purple or Green Board.

Comment

hardie backer cutting

any power tools will create alot of dust which nasty stuff...wear a respirator and cut it outside.

a makita 4" grinder makes quick and dusty work of this

ceramictilepro

Comment

Working...
            X
            =