Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I change my heating system FROM oil TO ...

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change my heating system FROM oil TO ...

I recently purchased a home in central Pennsylvania. The home is two stories, just under 1000 sqft, and was built in 1948.
    The home is currently heated via oil forced air. I also have a central ac system and an existing well (not sure if it's functioning, waiting for warmer weather to test it).
    What are my options for converting to a different method of heating my home?
    Just in 4 months I have spent approximately $1100 on oil and I only use oil for my heating. I keep my thermostat set at 68 degrees and would set it lower, but I work from home and can't stand sitting in the freezing cold.
    Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? THANK YOU!

cost to heat

100 gallons a month is too much to heat a 1K sg ft home, even if it is a two story. You may need to look at the insulation and windows before you make any move with the heater. If the air conditioning is a stand alone unit it can stay. There are several choices you can go with, modern day boiler, vented heaters (Toyo, Monitor, Rinnai). I would stay away from forced air as it is the least efficent. If you have gas close to your house that would be nice. Do your home work before you choose and by all means don't just take the first offer that comes along. Stay warm, Tom

Comment

Thank you very much for your input!

Also, please note, I misspoke in my initial post - oil covers heat AND hot water in my home

Comment

do you have access to natural gas ?

Comment

best answer

get rid of the oil system.

If you have gas available, run a gas line and install a new 90 furnace, while keeping the ac system.

If you dont have gas available, then convert your system an electric heat pump.

Nobody uses Oil that much anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =