• Show
Clear All

• HRV Filter Cleaning

Click image for larger version

Name:	HRV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	87750

I have a Venmar AVS - Constructo 1.5 HRV, see attached image. Twice per year or more if needed I slide out the filters on each side of the core (marked #1 in image), vacuum them and let them soak for a few hours in mild soapy water, then rinse them out with the garden hose, let dry and reinstall. As for the core (marked #4 in image) I have not take it out in the 2 years we have been in the house, I seems stuck or impossible to remove. The unit hangs from the ceiling on chains so this may be why its hard to remove. My question is if the filters on each side never really get filthy and only need a light cleaning does this indicate the core is most likely clean and not in need in of cleaning. The owners manual just says take it out, easier said than done One last thing, do the fans need to be cleaned, not sure how to go about that. The blades do have some buildup on them.
    Last edited by 06Honda; 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM.

I have a Venmar Solo 1.5 which is an earlier version of your unit I believe. I finally took the core out after about 10 years of use and washed it; it seemed fairly clear; mostly bug parts. It doesn't pull out easily. The filters seem to take care of most of the dust. I just vacuum mine; I may have washed them once. I have a third filter which is paper and is supposed to be replaced, but I just vacuum it.
    One useful trick I found: when the green Intermittant LED starts blinking on the humidistat to indicate maintenance required, you can kill that by just turning off power to the Venmar for a while.

Comment

Well after reading your post i gave it a shot. Finally after some pulling it came loose only problem is the way the unit was installed in a small room the door to the unit can't open all the way up as it hits the bifold door and trim, so I did as you have and vaccumed the core on the four sides so unless the door of the unit can be removed thats all there is to do for the core. Thanks for the feedback.

Paul

Comment

The door on my unit comes off. Look at your hinges; the hinge pins should just slide out of the sockets. Try raising the door (assuming the hinges are on the upper edge) as much as you can and then hit the appropriate end of the door with the palm of your hand a few times to slide it out of the hinges.

Comment

Will do, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =