Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazypup - was doing looking on the web - I found a substitute for R-22.
    The writeup says its boiling point is about 30 degrees cooler than regular R-22. According to the ad its 100% safe, is not a CFC, does not require a license to handle or install. It's called ES-22a

Comment

Got the trench dug for the PEX. Started cutting the entry hole in the basement wall. The hammer drill manages it's way nicely through the old mortar and sandstone. But those dang rocks! Yikes! I think I lucked out. Found two rocks almost in back of each other, that when removed will provide the access needed. 21 inch thick rock walls. Such fun!

Comment

I went looking for some tech data on ES22A but was unable to find it. I did find a couple websites where they had discussions on it but no real specifications or tech data.

Boiling 30 deg cooler would mean that the system would probably require a retrofit modification before it could be used. At a minimum they would have to change the capillary tubes, expansion valve or metering device, otherwise they would have to drastically alter the operational pressures of the system.

There are many chemical compounds that will work as a refrigerant, among those are propane, gasoline or even ordinary household ammonia/water.

When selecting a product to be used as a refrigerant many factors have to be considered besides its ability to transfer heat. While gasoline or propane will work, would we really want a substantial quantity of a highly flamable liquid/gas under high pressure in our homes?

Years ago a mixture of ammonia and water was used very effectively in natural gas and propane powered refrigerators, and is still used in campers, motorhomes and boats.

Cryogenic systems are capable of producing temperatures to within 5 degs of absolute zero, and have been experimented to within 2 degs of absolute. They often use liquid hydrogen or liquid oxygen as a refrigerant, but they require very expensive compressor systems with sealed motors and electrically heated bearings. We certainly wouldnt want an open electric motor in our compressors with the windings saturated in pure ozygen, that would be inviting a serious explosion hazard.

In the last 20 years great strides have been made to produce safer more environmentally friendly refrigerants, but they have had many problems to overcome, such as compatibility with compressor oils or internal corrosions on system components.

With all the environmental concerns I dont think we will ever see a refrigerant that will be readily available to the homeowner again, and in many ways I support that view.

The real problem is most people seem to have the mindset that if their AC isn't working it must need freon. Actually there is a long list of reasons why an HVAC unit is not working properly, and the level of regrigerant is way down the list. Perhaps less than 2% of the HVAC service calls actually require adding refrigerant, yet most people are so keen on the idea of getting it, that in years past it was a practice to just charge for a pound or two whether you added it or not. Otherwise the customers refused to pay thier service bill because they didnt get freon.

Ask any service tech who was runnig service calls when homeowners could still buy freon over the counter and they will confirm that one of the most common problems we encountered was systems that were overcharged. I actually encountered one where a homeowner had added nearly a full thirty pound cylander before the compressor blew a high pressure line.

The level of refrigerant is very critical, especially in the newer units that are designed to run on lower levels. In recent years the charge of refrigerants in refridgerator has been reduced so much that it is nearly impossible to charge by normal pressure techniques. Refridgerators used to have charges of a half pound or more, now they are often in the order of 2 ounces, and to charge a refridgerator you must physically pump it down, then recharge with a finitely measured charge.

Comment

I think you will find that most of the companies are going over to the R410a. Its a mix sooooo if you have a leak you cant just recharge it You have to recover what is in there and put all new in. As a liquid so you get the right mix back in it. As of now no company will take back this old R410a. fun fun fun
          I have asked on up the line about this R22a and cant get anything as to what it is. like said on line all I get is R12a and what it is

ED[8]

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
          My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

I'm sure you're found the information you were looking for on ES-22a, but for all of us that just found this forum, you can find the MSDS on the manufacturer's website.

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/products/details.asp?id=45

I'm waiting on my delivey this week.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =