Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You can see the label on the capacitor with three terminals you will see that it is a dual capacitor. They are often used so that one capacitor can serve both the compressor and the fan motor.

A dual capacitor is simply two capacitors built into a common housing, where the center terminal is the common terminal for both capacitors.

The brown wire on the dual capacitor is the wire for the fan motor. you will be removing that wire when you pull the old motor.

The new motor has two wires to the capacitor so there will be no wire from the new motor to the dual capacitor. The fan terminal on the existing capacitor will be left disconnected.

Comment

Great! Thanks again. I think I have all the information I need to go ahead with this.

Comment

Thanks, Guys! Mission Accomplished. When I switched on the AC unit to make sure that it worked OK I noted that it wasn't blasting air out the top like the other unit (which is the same kind) and when I checked the reason was plain to see. The motor was configured to run clockwise and it should have been counter clockwise like it's "twin". A quick swap of the purple and yellow wires and business as usual. I don't know if I saved any money but, all told, it cost me < $200 to swap out the motor. I am sure that it's only about an hours worth of labour so I probably saved like $90 plus any markup on the actual hardware.

Cheers, Max

Comment

Working...
        X
        =