Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting of Window Type A/C Unit

Ok, I've asked this question to a couple of folks and I get answers on both sides. I have a window type A/C and I want to mount it sideways in a small window. I don't see what the difference would be, but willingly admit I am an idiot. Some tell me that the A/C unit won't work that way and others say it will be fine. I did mount it sideways and have turned it on for a couple of minutes and cold air was coming out of it, but I would like to find out if it's OK to be mounted this way before I run it for any time period.

Will work on anything but don't have a clue as to what I'm doing.

Absolutely do not turn an AC on its side for even a short period when handling. There is a strong likelihood that oil will spill out of the compressor and clog the capillary tubes.

Even if you could find an HVAC tech that has the tool to clean the capillary tubes, which is rather doubtful today, the actual cost of repair would exceed the value of the unit.

Comment

"turned it on for a couple of minutes and cold air was coming out of it"
      Won't cool to much longer on it's side, I would recommend you take it out of the window or put the unit in as it suppose to go.

HiltonTech

Comment

Look, turning a A/C system on its side is like turning your trash can upside down and expecting it to hold trash. The oil inside the compressor is not supposed to be in any other parts of the unit. It will cause your unit to live a very short life. You may have already done the damage just running it for the "couple minutes". Always remember, find out the facts before you go throwing money out the window because of someone elses lack of knowledge (make sure you have credible sources). If in doubt don't do it unless you are willing to pay $$$$$$ for it.

Have you changed your filter this month?

Brandon
        - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

Working...
        X
        =