Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dust..Dust..Dust.. Where is it coming from?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust..Dust..Dust.. Where is it coming from?

I live in a new manufactured home (6 years old).. We have a dust problem that I cannot solve... No matter what we do, the house gets dusty within a day or two of cleaning... The house is heated electrically and with the assistance of a heat pump. These have all been cleaned.. The vents have been cleaned, furnace filters replaced each month, additional filters placed on the underside of the floor registers, windows and doors checked for air leaks, and the dryer external vent connection checked... we still get dust..
    Additionally the carpets have been cleaned and vacuumed weekly, all bedding (mattersses / comforters) cleaned and furniture vacuumed regularly... still dust... I cannot think of anything else to check.. has anybody experienced anything similiar to this and if so, what was your solution? The only thing that I have noticed since moving in was that last winter when I cut a hole in a wall to move a power outlet, I experienced a real draft of cold outside air coming out of the hole.. don't know where it was coming from as a mfg house is built on top of a subfloor which should be airtight.. maybe it was coming from the attic through the wall which is naturally vented to the roof but then again the walls should be framed so they are not open to the attic ... I don't know?

Usually a manufactured home has a intake connected to the furnace to bring in outdoor air.
    Has anyone checked that? It is unfiltered since it connects to the top of the furnace.

Do you live on a dirt road?

Comment

outside air

The furnace does draw in outside air through a fresh air vent however, this air is sent thru the furnace intake filter system before being heated / cooled... the filters are the normal furnace filters that are replaced monthly or as needed.... Since the furnace filters are never really all that dirty, I have to assume that the dust is coming in thru something else... I have sealed the cavity of the furnace to make sure everything that enters it goes thru the filter....still dust

Comment

Originally posted by DD716TED
        The furnace does draw in outside air through a fresh air vent however, this air is sent thru the furnace intake filter system before being heated / cooled... the filters are the normal furnace filters that are replaced monthly or as needed.... Since the furnace filters are never really all that dirty, I have to assume that the dust is coming in thru something else... I have sealed the cavity of the furnace to make sure everything that enters it goes thru the filter....still dust
        Are you sure the duct is not connected after the filter inside the blower compartment? All of the units I see are piped in after the filter.

Do you have a mobile home type furnace or a standard residential furnace?

Comment

Air intake.. Coleman Furnace

The furnace is a Coleman Furnace made for a mfg house. The external air duct terminates with a solenoid flapper valve on top of the furnace and you can see where the air that comes thru it is filtered by the furnace filters as that area is dirtier than the rest.. It definately termminates before the filter and not inside the furnace cavity. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =