Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding refrigerant but valve is closed

When trying to add refrigerant to about a 2 - 2.5 ton system. When I hook up the low side gauge, I can't get it to register anything like the valve is closed. Above the valve, it has about a one inch nut that comes off. It then has a thing to turn, a 5/16 inch hex wrench will work to turn it. I've tried turning this all the way in and all the way out but the valve still seems to be closed. What is keeping the valve closed? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated...

It would not be prudent to provide your answer in the forum because EPA regulations prohibit anyone but trained and certified technicians from opening the gas system on a refrigerator or AC unit.

Comment

No problem, was just hoping I was missing something simple but... The answer is that the fan dropped and hit the refrigerant line causing all the refrigerant to escape, that is why it had no pressure.

Comment

For what its worth, the acorn shaped cover unscrews exposing the valve stem. using a 5/16" or 1/4" square head stem, turning this counter-clockwise to a midpoint opens the valve. All the way back it is a front/back seated valve.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup View Post
          It would not be prudent to provide your answer in the forum because EPA regulations prohibit anyone but trained and certified technicians from opening the gas system on a refrigerator or AC unit.
          Thank You LazyPup, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X
          =