Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly fan

A service tech performing annual maintenance found that we had a wobbly fan. His suggestion is that we replace both the fan and the motor. I feel that he may be trying to pull one over on us but need someone to either confirm this as a routine fix or affirm that I am correct. THe replacement is going to cost 550$ and the unit is only 6 years old.

THanks
    Last edited by rpatt; 08-22-2008, 08:14 PM.

need more info on the appliance. IMO I'd say the fan itself loosened up itself and is wobbling on it's bracket. the bracket is probably still firmly attached to the fan motor shaft.

Comment

Maybe one of the blades has gotton bent out of shape, check that first. if the shaft is bent then not much you can do but replace the motor. Please any work done on it make sure the "POWER" breaker is "OFF"

Comment

most of the fan blades are plastic so I doubt if it is a bent blade. how would the motor shaft get bent? it's only 3/4 inch long! no need to shut down the breaker, just unplug the appliance.

Comment

Be aware!!!

I would say because a tech was called out it must be a hardwired unit. If hard wired you better cut the power are you may end up the way of the "DoDo" bird..And if it is a portable unit why was it not taken in ?? Some people just don`t get it when it comes to electricty!! It KILLS"" Maybe I`m out in left field here....

The commit I made was to be helpful to the persons concerns. I will not debate other comments..

Comment

Dan, I realize your concerns but I was just saying to unplug the fridge. Do you open your breaker on the fridge line or any other appliance you may be working on? The appliance plug is the disconnecting means.

Comment

I don 't mean to sound argumentative but all the information I can glean from the post would lead me to believe they are talking about an outside condensing unit fan, what has that to do with the fridge?

Comment

sorry I wasn't aware the problem was an air conditioning unit. I apologize.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =