Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Heating System Question

I live in a manufactured home that has a Coleman Electric Furnace / Heat Pump installed. This question is brought about by the extremely cold weather we are now experiencing.. When the furnace is running (eiither using heat pump alone or with 2 stage electric), I have notice that there seems to be a slight vaccuum in the house as cold outside air is being drawn in through the microwave/stove vent and other places. Is this caused by the furnace fan unit requiring more air intake than what it is putting out as warm air? If this is the case is it best to keep all floor vents wide open (not closed in un-used rooms) to permit maximum flow/circulation. There is also a solenoid valve on top of the furnace intake that sometimes opens to bring in outside air but now it is closed when the furnace is running..(I'm not sure how this electric butterfly valve is controlled). Also bathroom exhaust vents are sometimes running (on a timer) when the furnace is on..(Should they be set to manual and only used when needed or after showers?). Comments Please....

your house must be pretty tight, insulation speaking, your heat system is trying to put out max heat with restricted air flow through your cold air registers. the extra air has to come from somewhere so the system is sucking in air through your vents. open the cold air returns to max then your system won't work so hard and may heat up the house faster because it will be re-circulating warmer air.

Comment

Cold air returns?

The only source of air to the furnace is recycled inside warm through the vent in the door to the furnace enclosure and the outside air pipe that is controlled by the electric butterfly valve directly above the firnace intake/filters .. There is no other source of air except that from within the house...

Comment

Originally posted by DD716TED View Post
        I live in a manufactured home that has a Coleman Electric Furnace / Heat Pump installed. This question is brought about by the extremely cold weather we are now experiencing.. When the furnace is running (eiither using heat pump alone or with 2 stage electric), I have notice that there seems to be a slight vaccuum in the house as cold outside air is being drawn in through the microwave/stove vent and other places. Is this caused by the furnace fan unit requiring more air intake than what it is putting out as warm air? If this is the case is it best to keep all floor vents wide open (not closed in un-used rooms) to permit maximum flow/circulation. There is also a solenoid valve on top of the furnace intake that sometimes opens to bring in outside air but now it is closed when the furnace is running..(I'm not sure how this electric butterfly valve is controlled). Also bathroom exhaust vents are sometimes running (on a timer) when the furnace is on..(Should they be set to manual and only used when needed or after showers?). Comments Please....
        One other thing to check that i have seen happen many times, is under your home there could be a flex tube running to one side of your ducts. Make sure it is connected good and has not come lose. later paul

Comment

Did that last summer as a house check up! and it was loose.. good call... Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =