Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My unit runs 24/7 when its cold on the Econ Plus mode - same way I have been running for years. Usually I keep it set at 56 or 58 so it needs to get to 70 to shut off. I changed the fuel filter at the tank and drained off a bit of kero to make sure there was no water when i did..

I received a call from my oil co. this AM and they are sending their supplier to pull a sample from the tank.. My oil co. uses one truck for Kero and they deliver 7-9000 gal per week.. I bought in June when the pricing was better but the supply may have been old.. who knows.

I will report back after Sprague Energy (bulk supplier) visits this AM.

Comment

Bad Kerosene Issue Solved

So, Kerosene test results came back last Saturday in the mail. The specific gravity was .85 and get this - sulfur content 2100 PPM or .021%.

Kerosene (K1) range of specific gravity is .79 to .82 and sulfur content from 20 to 400 PPM !!

Now if you consider #2 fuel oil has a specific gravity range from .85 to .90 and a sulfur content of 2500 PPM - thats what was delivered, but since I had 80 gallons in the tank it was diluted..

So, talked to fuel supplier Monday AM, they sent truck and tech out Wed AM - pumped the tank out then later in the day filled me up with 150 gallons of fresh kerosene. I tested this kerosene speciifc gravity is .81 and the color is not deep red like i had but more of a translucent pink dye.

So, out to clean out the tank on the Monitor now and vac out the pot and get some fresh fuel into the system and run it!

Glad this is solved.. Thanks for all your help here..

Carl

Comment

Running Happy & Fine Now

All,

With a fresh tank of Kero measuring .81 I pulled out the solenoid pump and via the internal tank and with the fuel valve on I used my kerosense hydrometer tester (like a basting device) to suction almost 2 quarts until it was clean and clear

I wanted to get the bad stuff out of the system and once the kero was clear and clean flowing into the internal resivoir I installed the old solenoid pump.

Started the heater and it everything worked perfectly -blue flame on all settings..

Glad this is over with.. Thanks for all your support..

Carl

Comment

Running Happy & Fine Now

Hey Carl,

I was wondering how you made out with your heater as I have not heard from you. I had a couple of moments this summer thinking where you might be, as we spoke about getting your heater up here for more testing... I happened to be working on the net tonight and noticed your last thread about the oil situation in your tank.

As you remember we seriously suspected about the possibility of the fuel/k1 blend. I am so glad you were able to get it figured out and prove it in a proper manner. As you know, time is money and when someone is in a situation like this, it gets hairy and scary for all parties.

Glad that it was the fuel cause we really do know what we are doing here and fix all heaters...I hope the oil company compensated you for some of your troubles.

Hope you are enjoying your summer! It's been kind of hot! I am turning 42 on Monday! Also, I am going deep sea fishing in the a.m. out of Hampton Beach! Looking forward to catching a big fish.

Have a great weekend!

Richard Burke
          Perfect Plumbing and Heating, Inc.
          Last edited by Heatingbroker; 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM. Reason: name

Comment

Thanks Richard,

RIchard,

I hope you catch a big one today - its going to be warm out there! Well as a follow up the new Kero tested perfect on the hydrometer and burns clean and blue now.

I was pleased with the oil company at the end of the day (they pumped the tank then put in 150 gal new K1 but no other consideration $ or otherwise) and I guess what is most amazing is the resilency of the Monitor heater to be able to burn #2 but now that we have 150 gal of fresh K1 it is much happier and burning hotter too.

I do thank you for all your help support during your visits and parts support as well and the quality of service by Perfect Plumbing and Heating. I also have a better understanding of the mechanics of my Monitor heater now and look forward to the next rebuild by your group in 10 years!

Thanks again, and BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY Richard!

Carl

Comment

Working...
            X
            =