Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Flame in chamber

Hello,

I have a monitor 41. had it for for 20 years. do all the servicing on it myself.
    only had to replace the ring once in all that time. my problem just started. I have a high flame in the burn chamber. when it is running on low. however when it kicks up into high the flame is back to normal untill it kicks back down to low and then the flame gets high again. I have check the tiny black rubber seal in the solenoid (why there is a rubber band there is beyond me) that open and close the flap. that little rubber seal is good no cracks in it and all in one piece. so I am at a loss as to why I am getting a high flame on low. hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Russ in North Pole, Alaska

when the burner switches from a high output to a low output it is burning off the fuel in the pot. the combustion air slows down the burning rate, so you get a flare up. unless this flare up is creating soot in the chamber I wouldn't worry too much. BTW what kind of fuel are you using - K-1 or biofuel?

Comment

well the high flame is still there even running on low for hours. it's not creating enough soot to worry about the soot. my worry is the flame ring. is it going to warp that. I had to paid 250.00 dollars for it and after getting a internet connection. I saw that I got reamed a good one. as I could have gotten one for 80 dollars. it's been a great heater in our house as it's the only thing that heat our house in the long cold Alaska winters. I burn number one diesel in it for over 20 years with no problem.

Russ

Comment

Well, everybody I speak to as well as the tech rep from mpi they all recommend K-1 dyed or undyed. I've read through these posts guys burn everything from diesel to biodiesel with nothing but problems. as far as the burner ring goes, when it starts to warp it doesn't contain the flame within the pot circle. check ebay. I'm sure you'll find a burner ring cheaper than you'll find from any dealer.

Comment

M41 high flame

Russ,

Burning #1 is just fine. That’s all we have here in Alaska due to its pour point at low temps. Yes, Monitor sings the K1 only song, but that’s all you can except from them. The high flame in your burner is a real problem. It will warp the ring if it has not already done so. One the other reasons for the high flame is that the burner needs to have the air holes cleaned out. They get blocked with carbon over time and shut down the air. You can expect to replace the mat and ring at the same time. One of the issues with a Monitor 41 is that it has been in service for a very long time. There is no telling if the fuel pump is still in spec. Because the stove runs fine on high I would say the pump is OK. If it is, a new mat and ring will get you going. You have already looked at the solenoid valve and determined it functions OK. The little “O” ring acts as a bumper to keep the rod from slamming against the coil. You have one of the best Monitor service shops in the country just up the road in Fairbanks (Woodway). They have all the parts you need on hand as well as the knowledge to keep you going. I live in Bethel and use Woodway for Monitor parts.

Have a great summer,

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X
          =