Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by msearcher View Post
    I have ordered the 8799k3 material and have received it and will switch over. Never had any problems so far using the other material. Tom
    I've also ordered some of this material, but since I just bought a new burner pot with new burn mat installed I won't be putting any of it into service until needed. I'd appreciate it if you would report how well this material holds up for you so I know what to expect when I start using it.

Comment

Which of those materials would be best to replace the burner mat in a 441?

Comment

burner mat

all the burner mats are the same thickness no matter which heater you have. the mc master material that is .026 thick will most closely resemble what monitor uses. that plus the rutland cement #77 will do the job.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cardynal Syn View Post
          Which of those materials would be best to replace the burner mat in a 441?
          I used the 8799K3 when I did the rebuild on my 422 last Feb. and so far it's working great. I also used Rutland 77 stove cement for gluing the mat to the pot.
          Last edited by FordMan59; 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

burn mat material

I have been happy with McMaster Car 8838K2 or 8838K4 Acrylic - Coated Fiberglass Fabric it's .40 and has worked well for me, its rated
            at 1,000 degrees.

have tried the Silica Fabric but found its easy to rip / break while putting in the burn pot on the larger units, might be ok on the smaller ones.

Comment

burn mat material

I have been happy with McMaster Car 8838K2 or 8838K4 Acrylic - Coated Fiberglass Fabric it's .40 and has worked well for me, its rated
              at 1,000 degrees.

Did try the Silica Fabric but found its easy to rip / break while putting in the burn pot on the larger units, might be ok on the smaller ones.

Comment

burn mat

I'm glad the McMaster-Carr material worked well for you. Proves that the OEM product is not as great as they say it is, never mind the high cost of it. Sometimes it pays to research a replacement.

Comment

burner mat replacement

In fact I just took out a burn pot that I installed a couple of years ago ( factory new with burn mat installed )
                  and the factory burn mat was broken under the fuel inlet area and lifted already on all four corners.

I did replace the burn mat as it would need replacing after another season - that is not very impressive and
                  still waiting for one of the burn pots with a McMaster Car burn mat material to come back for service!

Comment

replace burner mat

msearcher,

Did you replace the mat because it was causing the stove to quit or was there some other reason you were inspecting the pot?

Tom

Comment

Burner Mat

The heater was brought in because of kerosene leaking out. The carb had water in it over the years and the needle value
                      was frozen and had to replace the carb.

While I had the heater I wanted to check the rest and make sure there were not other issues - that is where I found the that
                      the burner mat not in very good shape. Did want to make sure the burn ring was ok as well.

I like to do a complete service when I have the heater to keep people from having to come back a year later etc.

Comment

Do you think the water in the fuel had anything to do with the burner mat failing so quickly ? The reason I ask is that my original burner mat lasted 14 years . I was a bit hesitant to use the MMC product but decided to try it . I guess time will tell if it was a wise decision .

Comment

burner mat

the burner mat material that MPI uses comes from Japan. Without chemically analyzing it I can't say what it's made of,only that it crumbles verily easy. ceramic and fiberglass fibers last a long time.
                          Being such, water shouldn't have any effect on the material. Even water mixed [ used loosely] because kero and water do not mix. shouldn't effect the material.

Comment

I called several hardware stores in my area (Hickory NC) looking for Rutland 77 cement. No dice. Nobody had it, even those stores that carried a herd of Rutland products. So after I got out of work, I decided to go by the store closest to my house and see what else they might have that would work. A salesperson picked up a tube and told me "this one might work for a furnace." While she was looking at the front, I could see the other side. It said #77. The 77 is on the back of the tube just above the UPC. No wonder nobody could find it. The label on the front says "Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement." Some of the other stores had told me they had that, and I told them no, I only wanted Rutland 77. ROFL! Anyway.... posting this to hopefully save someone else some time.

Comment

Rutland #77

See! It pays to read sometimes. I have the same habit. Trying to put something together without reading the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                                See! It pays to read sometimes. I have the same habit. Trying to put something together without reading the instructions.
                                I didn't know there was any other way!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =