Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket material

Anybody have any advice for what to use for gasket material. I have a monitor 30 that the combustion fan bearings went bad and will need to make a gasket for the exhaust and also it had a rope type packing sealing the combustion side of the fan. Anybody ever use hi-temp silicone? Got my feelers out for some old stock but its getting hard to find parts for the old girl.

Thanks John

check mcmaster-carr industrial supply online.

Comment

If you'll look at the thread "16 year old 422" there will be item numbers listed from McMaster-Carr for burner mat material and gasket material.

Comment

Mine doesn't use a mat in it, and I'm really thinking about using 5920 copper silicone in place of the gaskets since one is a rope style and I didn't see anything at McMaster-Carr that would work. It says it is good for 480 degrees continuous and up to 650 intermittent. Has anyone ever shot their heater with a non contact thermometer? Hayzee518 has said he thinks the Pot only get to 600 degrees rarely so I would think the exhaust would be far less. Would be really interested if someone knows the temps and I like to try new things to see if they work. Let me know anybody!

Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by vangasman View Post
          Mine doesn't use a mat in it, and I'm really thinking about using 5920 copper silicone in place of the gaskets since one is a rope style and I didn't see anything at McMaster-Carr that would work. It says it is good for 480 degrees continuous and up to 650 intermittent. Has anyone ever shot their heater with a non contact thermometer? Hayzee518 has said he thinks the Pot only get to 600 degrees rarely so I would think the exhaust would be far less. Would be really interested if someone knows the temps and I like to try new things to see if they work. Let me know anybody!

Thanks John
          I found this on ebay rated at 1000*F and the seller has it in various widths.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Comment

I have more gasket material than I'd use in 5 lifetimes. If anyone needs a piece to make gaskets out of I'd be willing to sell them a piece of mine or make the gasket and send it to you. Just drop me a PM with the size gasket/piece you need and I'll give you a price. Thought this would be much cheaper than you having to buy Monitor gaskets. The material I have is 1/8" thick fiberglass sheet material rated for 1200* F.
            Last edited by FordMan59; 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the gasket material. I'm going to use rutland 641 sealant so I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by vangasman View Post
                Thanks for the offer of the gasket material. I'm going to use rutland 641 sealant so I'll let you know how it works out.
                This offer wasn't only for you, but anyone who might need a gasket or a piece to make a gasket out of. I know the Monitor gaskets are pretty expensive and just thought since I had more than I needed it would give me a chance to recoup my money while saving others a few dollars. The material I have is also a much stronger material than what Monitor makes their gaskets out of.

Comment

what is the stock number of the McMaster Carr material you purchased?

Comment

Originally posted by msearcher View Post
                    what is the stock number of the McMaster Carr material you purchased?
                    I got 9323K21.

Comment

vangasman, if you own a kerosene fired monitor you will have a burner mat.

Comment

When he said his heater didn't have a burn mat I thought that was incorrect, but since I'm not very familiar with the various models of Monitor heaters and their operation I wasn't going to argue the point.

Comment

all kerosene heaters have a burner mat. propane heaters do not, they have a gas nozzle and spark arrangement.

Comment

Monitor 20, 30

Neither M20 nor M30 used a burner mat. The fuel just dribbled into the pot. The pot is concave so the fuel finds the center by gravity. Not the best system but both units were the first on the market. One of the real problems with the unit is the safety system, which are primitive by today’s standards. Most parts have not been in the normal inventory for over 15 years. Even here in Alaska these units have been purged from the inventory long ago. I am always surprised when some dealer somewhere has a part for either, but it does happen. If you need any parts for these don’t be afraid to contact any and all Monitor dealers you can find. One of them might have some stuff left over that get you through.

Good luck,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =