Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 2400 Burn Mat Replacement

Hi all...after tearing apart my monitor 2400 to clean it up and hopefully stop error codes, this is what I have found...the burn mat was no longer attached to the floor of the pot nor was the u-channel that the igniter sits on top of. The burn mat was in 2 pieces (now 3), but I should be able to use it for a template. However, I wanted to make sure I have this correct before I install the new one. It appears that the burn mat had a large dab of adhesive at each corner but I'm unsure what held the u-channel down (maybe glue at both ends)? I found hayzee's diagram for the burn mat, but my 2400 is more rectangular with just rounded corners so I'm guessing this is a change with the new model? And which side of the pot should the "thinner" side of the mat go towards? Anyways, I am looking for recommendations for what I should do when I go to install the new burn mat. I already have the material ordered from McMaster's and I just have to wait for it to get here. I also ordered a new fuel filter for the main fuel line as I'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed in years, but that's outside of the heater. Any other suggestions for when I go to put this thing back together? Should I double up the aftermarket gasket material from McMaster's since it is thinner than the original gasket material? Thanks folks!

M2400 burner service

Braden,

The igniter guard is spot welded to the bottom of the pot. If it has come off the pot is no good. You can not just glue it down. If the guard comes off and touches the igniter it will cause a hot spot, which will make the igniter fail. If you inspect the bottom of the pot you may find that it has warped. If so the pot needs to be replaced. Any irregular spot on the bottom is cause to replace the pot. As far as the gasket thickness is concerned the only thing that might be a real problem is the flame sensor gasket. If it is too thin the sensor might be too close to the edge of the ring. If you use after market gasket material it should be almost the same thickness as the original. You certainly don’t need to have a CO leak. It is a very good idea to change the fuel filter every year. This could be the cause of all your error codes. Remember, change the filter early in the year, and early is not Jan and Feb.

Tom

Comment

All great reasons to use OEM replacement parts when you can instead of trying to save a couple bucks. Most home owners dont understand that there are reasons Monitor used the specific density of gasket and burner pot material.
      I found that if folks supported your local dealers, they in turn might be more willing to help with pricing.

thanks for the great info Tom

Dan

Comment

I'd compare the thickness of the new gasket material to the thickness of the original material and if it's only about 1/2 the thickness of the original I'd double it up. If it's close to the same thickness I'd only use one layer. The gasket material I bought from McMaster-Carr is 1/8" thick compared to about 1/4" thick for the original Monitor gaskets, but is much stronger. When I rebuilt the burn chamber on my 422 last winter I only needed to replace the flame rod gasket, I did use a double thickness of the McMaster Carr material rhere and everything is fine. Not knowing what thickness gasket material you bought I can't say whether you should double it or not. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =