Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big yellow flame in 422

I put a new burner mat in my 422 heater. I used the mcmaster carr cloth and the rutland 77 cement. I put all back together and I have a big yellow flame. shouldnt the burner show blue flame? I pulled the intake off and saw no difference so I feel flue pipe intake ok. Whwn I first fired it up I saw some blue but turned to yellow. Could the burner mat againg be defective due to something I did wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Bluestom (its starting to get cold here in northern ny)

bad flame M422

How much glue did you put down on the bottom of the pot? How much glue came up through the mat weave? Did you use a new burner ring? Did you put a new gasket on the top lip of the burner? There are many reasons for a bad flame. Carbon in the heat exchanger, blower motor bearing need oil, damper solenoid “O” ring, no pad on the bottom of pot, air holes blocked, as well as a clean flue pipe and air hose. Don’t forget the proper air damper.

Tom

Comment

monitor 422 yellow flame

Thanks for your reply Tom-- I just tore the heater back down and the mat I installed looks good-- seems to be burning just around perimeter of burner-- I noticed a very fine white deposit at top of burner - also when the fan runs at start up does it revolve at a fairly slow speed? I am completely stumped-- can the solenoid at the fan be tested? Thanks

Comment

yellow flame

Since we really don’t know exactly what you have done I will ask all the normal questions. I need to know what part number or named gaskets you have replaced. If you used a “thin layer of glue” on the bottom of the pot? Did you inspect the bottom of the pot to be sure it is not warped? Before you do anything take some pictures of the bottom of the burner pot to include the mat.

Can you hear the solenoid damper closing after about 2 seconds? The blower motor should be on LOW for quite a while when the stove first starts. Can you hear the damper open when the stove goes to high after starting up? Yes the damper can be tested either by removing the wires with the heater operating or with a Volt Ohm meter (4600 OHMS @ I connector).

Have you inspected the flue pipe at the junction of the exhaust and air tube. You can see it by removing the Air Cap. What about the flue pipe at the tip? Does it have any holes in it? Do you have an Extension Kit on the exhaust?

Lastly, do you have a manual? If not that is the place to start. It will help you understand the operation cycle and show you a parts break down.

Tom

Comment

If you need a copy of the Monitor service manual send me your email address in a PM and I'll forward you a copy.

Comment

yellow flame gone

The big yellow flame is gone-- heating well--- I dont see any blue flame but there is a red glow in pot--is this normal or not? Thanks to all you guys,Tom

Comment

M 422

What did you do that made the yellow flame go away?

Tom

Comment

The red glow is the dome on the burn ring and is normal, but you should be able to see a blue flame around the outer edges of the burn ring.

Comment

yellow flame gone

I took the burner out ,found a buildup of cement between center raised area just under the igniter port. Redid gasket between burner and upper heat exchanger and at base of burner assembly. Hopefully all will keep going. I want to thank all of you guys for taking the time to help me,Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =