Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor gf 200 issue

hi,

I'm new here and hope I'm doing it correctly.

I have a gf200. I started as an intermittent problem an now has become permanent.

pre purge works fine, I get low flame, the circulator fan comes on then at the point of high fire the gas valve snaps shut and I get the flame failure blinking lights.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

gas monitor

make up a test setup with two alligator clips, a 1n4004 diode and a 100k resistor and some hookup wire. [everything is wired in series]
    one end will go to a good earth ground the other goes into the plug where the flamerod wire goes.
    if the heater shuts down and locks out, shut the heater down, unplug it then plug it back in.
    reverse the diode - resistor assembly and try again.
    if the heater shifts into high heat and doesn't shut down, then your problem is with the flamerod itself.
    if the unit shuts down and locks out again, the problem is in the flamerod circuitry on the motherboard.
    Mathis Electronics can help you with the board.

Comment

gas monitor

thanks for the quick reply.

I'm off to radio shack. ill post the results.

I looked at the Mathis electronics website. About halfway down the page in blue lettering they state that they do not repair monitors that run on gas. I'm not sure where that leaves me if it is the board.

would you have any idea where I can purchase the gaskets for the probe and igniter? or any other parts I my need?

Comment

gas monitor

I don't see where the difference is for the mother board other than what is used for the gas valve and ignitor.
        as far as gaskets go, look in here for reference to mcmaster-carr for ceramic based gasket materials.
        I know I posted a page with nothing but mcmaster-carr gasket materials and the borosilicate glass for the viewing window. [much cheaper than MPI parts.
        eBay has many listings for gaskets and overhaul kits.

Comment

gas monitor

I jumped out the flame sensor. the flame extinguishes at the exact same time. but, interestingly, the lights stayed lit on top of the unit. I am assuming this is because of the jumper.

I called down to Mathis Electronics I was assured that they do not work on the gas units. if I call back Monday, I can get an explaination as to why.

looks like I am out of business for now....

thank you so much for your help.

Comment

GF 200 gas issue

Be very careful using a flame sensor by pass on your Monitor gas heater. You don't want to fool the computer into thinking there is a flame for too long if there is not one. The last thing you want is gas building up in the burner. I think you have a problem with either the gas control valve or the automatic gas valve. The gas control valve has a high flow and a low flow. From your post it seems the high flow part of the gas control valve is closing or not opening at all. The control valve is controlled by the main circuit board. The valve should get 6.2 volts DC for low and 8.7 volts DC for high at the P connector. If you can not prove those values there may be a problem with the main board.

The reason Mathais won't work on gas stove circuits is a liability issue. They don't want to be part of a blown up gas heater. Be very careful working on your gas heater.

Tom

Comment

gas monitor

hi tom,

I only a the flame sensor jumper on or few seconds after the fame failure.

I tested the voltage on the gas valve.

terminal L - 105 volts dc

terminal M - 105 volts dc

terminal p - 5.9 volts dc low fire

terminal p - ? volts dc high fire (using an analog meter, the voltage started to rise. got to 6.5 volts dc or so just as the heater locks out)

thank,

Todd

Comment

GF200 gas valve

Todd,

It looks like you have gotten to your problem. If the flame sensor was connected and the voltage did not get to spec. then there is a problem with the main board. You will have to find a dealer near you or try EBAY. Part number 6646

Tom

Comment

gf 200

I am not sure the meter had enough time to climb to full voltage. The elapsed time between trying to go to high fire and lock out was about half a second or so. But it was climbing rapidly.

I am leaning more towards the gas valve. I installed my monometer. (I assume it works, it is only a few months old) The gauge never moved. I am now wondering how tall the flame should be on low fire. from what I can see through the tiny sight glass, mine is a nice blue and about 1/2" tall.

Is there a way to test the three solenoids on the gas valve to see if they are in fact working properly? I know from the last test that they are each getting the proper voltage. But how do I know if they are actually opening?

Thanks,

Todd

Comment

gf200

I found another thread on this site that explained the testing of the gas valve with resistance. My numbers are dead on.

That puts me back to the board.

Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it,

Todd

Comment

Working...
                    X