Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gf500 problems

wish I had't but I left a gf500 monitor plugged in this late in the season at my mom's house.had a storm and long story short power suppling house had cut the neutral into and it fryed lots of stuff...the monitor was turned off at the panel but she said it came on briefly...won't do anything now..power company ran a new service...i know unit has a fuse,which will check but judging by the other stuff I figure the board is toast..I noticed matis will not work on gas boards...bought this new in 1997 and haven't touched it....is it worth buying a board or get a new rianna/monitor unit...the gf500 runs on lp gas..any thoughts .............

heater

if you must use a vented heater kero or propane go with a toyostove laser ot their brand of propane.
    we will cover toyostove heaters in this forum in the future.
    monitor stopped making vented kerosene earlier last year.

Comment

no power GF500

When a Monitor heater is exposed to an event when the neutral is lost the main circuit board gets burned. There is also a chance the power transformers got burned as well. The transformers can be checked by using your multi meter to check the resistance. Transformer one Primary 66 OHMs, # 1 Secondary 1.6 OHMs, #1 second Secondary 647 OHMs. Transformer #2 Primary 66 OHMs, Secondary 6.4 OHMs. The main circuit board has two fuses, both of which need to be good. The small one is a 2 amp fuse and could be burned. If you are lucky replacing it might work. More than likely the main board has been burned up by the voltage. Because your stove is a gas model, Mathais Electronics will not work on the board. If your board is burned you are going to need a new one. They are very expensive, so be ready. If you decide to replace your unit, Rinnai makes a good unit. Again they are very expensive.

Tom

Comment

didn't look at the heater yet,mom is 87 and really has enjoyed the monitor,cause of it's age,I don't believe I will see this one run again..was looking at the Rinnai RHFE 556 FAIII Space Heater ....is this one still produced or is the toyo the only one current..tom thanks for the info to check what i have....I will post what I find

Comment

Rinnai heaters

Rinnai has a full line of gas heaters. Go to their web site and see which ones are the newest. They do still support a number of their older units. Toyotomi does not make gas heaters. Toyotomi wholesalers do sell both brands, Rinnai gas heaters and Toyo oil heaters. You might try EBAY for parts for the Monitor GF500.

Tom

Comment

tom,took the heater apart today and the 2 amp fuse is black,gas heater is different as everything is clean...was pieces of gasket that looks like it came from top cap on combustion chamber laying in bottom so maybe it was good this happened ..will look for a fuse to buy tomorrow and see if it comes to life

Comment

Gf 500

If the fuse does fix the problem it is important to fix the broken gasket. Monitor heaters have a positive pressure in the chamber. Because of this you can have a CO problem with a broken gasket. The top or chamber gasket can be bought from any Monitor parts dealer, or you can make one yourself.

Tom

Comment

tom.. tried a fuse and a spark came from center of board and it took out the fuse...stuck another in and it came up...it trys to light 3 times and shuts down.........so not really shocked that it's damaged........i'll price a new board and would do that but if it has took out some other stuff it would be a bad thing...I have the material to make the gasket if I get a board

Comment

Gf500

If the fuse held, there is something else wrong. Do you see or hear a spark when the stove tries to light? If so, you need to explore the gas valves and their power coming from the board. The ignition transformer (E connector) should show 110 volts AC during start up. The gas control valve on low 6.2 volts DC and High 8.7 DC. The automatic gas valve should show 105DC on either L or M connector during start up. I am leaning towards a bad board. I'm hoping someone else on the forum with more gas experience will help out here. Tom

Comment

gf500

you can hear the ignitor ..can smell faint smell of propane outside of exhaust.....the panel operates the same ..when I started today that first spark saw was big....was scared to try again so the board has something it don't like.........the other fuse you mentioned would be the thermal fuse? I haven't ohmed that yet....thanks for your input...a wall clock on the wall was burned to a crisp and it roasted 3 surge protectors so it has reason to be broke

Comment

gf500

tom..today I checked voltage on fuel valves...I got 105dc volts on L and also on M solenoids....on the control solenoid I could only get 650 mili volts dc out of P..the control solenoid ohmed 87.. so it is the board,I checked and new board is 420..i will have to decide if I want to take a chance..I replaced the gasket which a third was missing...so anybody with one of these should pull the grill yearly and see if you have gasket pieces in bottom...never smelled anything..thanks tom for the info... looked under BING search to find a service manual on line as well for gf500

Comment

gf500

got a board ,was cheaper than first price,flipped switch to lp on board and installed..worked very nice...looked like transformer 2 had some damage......wished I knew a good way to leak test the whole combustion chamber to test all gaskets...I unplugged it this time when I left

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =