Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

model 21 - luke warm output - diagnosis?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model 21 - luke warm output - diagnosis?

i just installed a used model 21 i bought as a backup a couple of years ago.
    the guy said it worked fine.... (famous last words...)

i'm using the internal tank, and i ran it, and the status lights only went about half way, then they started to flash, so i cleaned the filter
    and added a little more kero to the tank to make sure it was getting enough fuel, depressed the prime button a couple of times and this time i got full status lights but was only getting lukewarm heat after several minutes of running, and i don't see any flame in the window.

can anybody venture a guess at a diagnosis?

thanks

You need to clean the burner pot and install a new mat and burner ring. The ring is probably warped and mushroomed out. At that time clean out the heat exchanger. Since it is a M21 you can oil the motor bearings.
    Be sure you understand the Red Button. It is not a primer. It holds the sump valve open. If left open too long you can flood the sump.

Tom

Comment

hi tom
      that sounds a little beyond my capabilities since i don't know the names of the parts inside the machine and i don't know where to get them since they are out of business, plus i don't have a manual, and aren't there weird gaskets involved?

i'm a little new at this.

Comment

Most of the parts that need to be replaced during a refurbishment seem to be available on EBay and McMaster and Carr for burner mat and gasket material, so its all doable, the variable being your capabilities, if not in your realm of expertise, then sell it or take the chance and rebuild it, if you need a service manual for the 21, that can be arranged, your choice.
        Mick

Comment

i think i'm capable of doing the work, but i could use the manual to identify the parts

Comment

Check your PM

Comment

the mcmaster carr gasket material (#9323K21) is over $30 + shipping for ten feet.
              i'm not willing to buy that much of it for the small amount that i'm assuming i'll use.

does anybody have any of this stuff that i can buy a small amount of or want to split the costs on if i order some?

Comment

Well you can buy the gaskets you need on Ebay, or there are sellers that supply similar ceramic fibre heat resistant gasket material, for pottery ovens or pellet stoves in smaller amounts, that is an option. The premade gaskets will exceed the McMaster price though, This material can be obtained through local industrial power house and piping insulation suppliers, that might sell you remnants sufficient for your needs at a lower cost, the burn mat cloth is also available from these suppliers, but it is not known by that term, as it is a heat and sparks containment material, in various thicknesses and weaves, Send FordMan59 a PM, in a previous post he said he had an quantity of gasket material and was willing to sell portions.
                Mick
                Last edited by akaothermick; 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =