Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to purchase Monitor 422

Hey everyone, New to the forum been poking around here some valueable info here.
    Anyway i live in New England and i am interested in buying a monitor heater, it is a mpi 422. There is only one dealer i can find here in CT, he wants $825.00 for a refurbished unit. Comes with chimney and internal tank. Looks kinda old drip tray and louvered front has a very little rust. looks like its been around awhile. But it runs like new and will have a [ 1 year warranty] through him.
    My questions are,
    > Is this machine worth what he is asking?
    > What year was the 422 manufactured?
    > Will i be able to get parts for this in coming years?
    I appreciate all feedback concerning this unit Thanks.

Monitor Products ceased production of the vented heaters but they've assured me they will still carry parts for those units out there. The 422 came out around 12 years ago. Newest production models are all propane vented. Look around Monson Mass. other wise there's a place in Keeseville NY that will supply you with parts.

Comment

Is it worth 850

Comment

Easily as new units go for $1875 and up!

Comment

Well I ended up buying heater. This thing cranks, will heat my 1200 squrefoot home with ease. I have noticed the heater stays on low to maintain temp as it is 10 degres here last couple of days . Definetly burns more k1 than listed. running on low goes through 1 gal in ten hours. not to far off but i thought .7 gals an hour was to good to be true.
          Does this sound normal the amount of k1 consumed?
          Also if I lower temp, Unit seems to cycle on and off. I have herd this is bad does anyone have any comments to this Thanks....

Comment

specs say 1.2 gal per day - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
            .7 is very good! the unit will maintain a temperature within four degrees above the setpoint. it takes more kero to start the unit than to maintain the heat level. so keeping it at a comfort level is advisable.

Comment

Ok sounds good so in other words better of setting it to a temp where it will stay on all the time may save kero. But im really not worried about consumption as kero is free to me. Im worried about this expansion and contraction thing. And being a very inclined person i personally dont see a problem but i am no expert.

Comment

the combustion pot operates in the vicinity of 550-600 degrees so I wouldn't worry about expansion or contraction, that's what the fiber gaskets are for.

Comment

Thanks alot my thoughts exactly....

Comment

Economy Plus feature

Try running your heater on the Economy Plus feature. Remember, it will allow the stove to go 12 degrees over the set temp before it shuts off. This will keep the cycling down, which is the bane of all Monitors. Another good feature of the Eco Plus is that the stove runs on Low until it reaches the set shut off temp. This keeps the components from going through the Low to High and back to Low in 3 or 4 minutes. Anything you can do to keep the cycles down is a good thing. The Burner ring is the component you want to keep from heating and cooling. If it warps or comes apart you will have a bad flame and that is the start of trouble.

Stay warm,

Tom

Comment

Monitor Heater 422

I have a monitor heater 422 for sale. I just had it serviced and its ready to use. Its ready to use. I am in North Carolina and will do you want to make me a offer. I will take less than what you are looking at now. Let me know Thanks
                      Its perfect working order

Comment

A gallon of kerosene in 10 hours running on low is way more than my 422 uses. We had a couple pretty cold days this week and mine ran on low nearly continuously. I'm currently running on the capsule tank, because I haven't had a chance to get a bulk tank installed since we moved to our new home. The capsule tank if I recall correctly holds about 1.33 gallons and lasted me approximately 20 hours running on low. Although we have an electric heat pump, the 422 is the only heat I use in a 1400 sf home and it normally only runs on low or medium low.

My 422 was installed in our previous home in Jan. '96 and someone told me '96 was the second year of the 422 production. I've been using it for 16 years on normal operation mode (not economy plus) without any problems, just ordered and received a new burn pot w/burn mat, flame ring and gaskets so I can do a chamber rebuild in the spring.

Monitors must be more expensive in the northeast than in NC where I bought mine. I bought a new 2200 in 2010 for $1250.+ tax.

Wish I could get in on some of that free kerosene you were talking about getting.
                        Last edited by FordMan59; 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

2 Monitor Heaters for sale 422 and a 41

I have 2 monitor heaters for sale. One is a 41 and the other is a 422. If anyone is interested let me know. Both have just been serviced and ready to go. I am in North Carolina

I will take 650 for the 41 and 750 for. They are great heaters.

Comment

I just bought a 422 off ebay yesterday for my son to use in his 1000sf mobile home instead of using the electric heat pump. The heater was used in the San Diego, California area. The owner said he bought it new and had owned it for about 8 years and it was only used at night for about 3 months out of the year, he also said that temperatures seldom got much below frost temperature so it shouldn't have seen much use. Bought the heater for $500.+$50. shipping, less than 1/2 the cost of a new unit. Seller is offering a 7 day money back guarantee, so I'll move my 422 out and hook it up in my house when I receive it to make sure it works OK before cutting a hole in my son's wall. I'll post the results after it's been hooked up for a few days. Everyone wish us luck!!

I've also been monitoring my 422 today. The current temperature is 41*F and overcast. It's currently heating about 1200 sf of a 1400 sf home (1 room closed off that we're not using and not heating closet areas) with the heater set at 66* the last cycle was, minutes 10:15 running, minutes 16:30 off. So it's keeping the house 25-29* above ambient temperature running on low (8900 btu output) about 38% of the time. My 422 will heat about 16 hours continuous operation on a gallon of kerosene running on low. I posted this information for people who may be considering buying a Monitor, thought it would give them an idea of how efficient the units really are.
                            Last edited by FordMan59; 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1580bville View Post
                              I have 2 monitor heaters for sale. One is a 41 and the other is a 422. If anyone is interested let me know. Both have just been serviced and ready to go. I am in North Carolina

I will take 650 for the 41 and 750 for. They are great heaters.
                              I live in North Carolina if you get 650 out of yours see if they want another one. I got a 41 has new ignitor, door and ignitor gasket and new blower bearings. Will take 300 for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =