Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending Water Pipes

Hello,
    I was planning to extend my water pipes in my basement so I can put my washer machines down there. Now, The cold water pipe is really close to where I need it, so extending the copper will not be a problem for me. The hot water though is quite a ways away. Now Can I cut the copper hot water pipe and extend it to my location using the new style plastic water tubing?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can run the new line with any material that is code approved for potable water distribution.

Under the International Residential code that would include:
    Brass pipe
    Copper pipe, types K,L & M
    CPVC
    Galvanized steel
    Polybutelene
    PEX tubing
    PEX-AL-PEX pipe

Under the Uniform Plumbing Code:
    Brass pipe
    Copper Pipe, Types K,L & M (Type M permitted inside a bldg only if above ground)
    CPVC pipe & tubing
    Ductile Iron Pipe (under a slab it must be machine wrapped & joints field wrapped)
    Galvanized Steel (under a slab it must be machine wrapped & joints field wrapped)
    PEX tubing

If you elect to use PEX all joints must be made by means of ASTM approved crimp connectors set in place with ASTM approved crimping tools.

While there are some plastic compression fittings that will fit PEX, they are approved for some hydronic heating applications but they may not be used for Potable water Distribution.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =