Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvc ?

I have just replaced the unprofessional looking copper & valve install in my lower level bathroom. The PVC drain & trap, etc, are all maybe 10 years old. They all have the screw on connections & seem to be working very well. Now that I have had to open the wall up to replace the copper & the shower valve should I replace the drain also. I call it PVC because it is white plastic. What kind of life span does this sort of drain have? I replaced the afore mentioned valve with a anti-scald Moen single handle. What a difference. It was worth it.

Thank you,
    Fred

PVC has only existed for about 60 years so we have no documented service life records beyond that point. On the other hand, the systems that were installed 60yrs ago are still functioning as well as the day they were installed.

I doubt that there is anything that is totally permanent but based upon the warnings given us by the scientific community plastics of all types will probably prove to be the fossil history of our society in future milleniums. Personally I have every confidence that the PVC pipe in your DWV system will probably outlast the wooden studding used to construct your home.

Comment

It has been postulated by a research firm that 100 years life for pvc pipes is a conservative estimate.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for the info.

Fred

Comment

Working...
        X
        =