Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Basement from Heck...

Where do I begin? 75 year old home in Arlington, VA; basement floods and I have some pictures for the best description. On the wall adjacent to the sump pump basin are a few holes where water streams out of every time it rains, the water runs across the floor and into this square hole on the opposite side of the room. (Now I have gone outside and all the drains from the gutters are attached to pvc flex pipe and they are going out towards the edge of the property away from the foundation.)

1. I took pictures of the holes in the wall where the water is coming out of.
    2. I took pics of the run from the holes over to the square hole.
    3. There are pics of the square hole, which I have no idea why it is there?

Why would someone cut out a square hole in the foundation? Is it possible that is the old sump basin?

Is this repairable? Should I just fill those holes up on walls? How do I fill or how SHOULD I fill that square abyss in the floor?

Help anyone...

Thanks

that square hole may have been the old sump pump pit. the holes in the foundation suggest there is no drain tile around the circumference of the house and are there to relieve hydrostatic pressure. if they weren't there your whole wall would cave in inside due to water on that side of the house.

Comment

Ok...

So what are my options? Affix flex pipe to those holes and run them into the ACTUAL sump pump? Now can I "fill" the old sump pit (rebar and concrete)?

I'd like to figure out how I can remedy this...

Thanks so much!

Comment

OK, put a flexible pipe in the lowest hole over to the sump pit, the other one use hydraulic cement to plug it up. Hydraulic cement expands when it cures. the other hole - the square one looks like it was intentionally put there - the walls look like a form was built just for it when they poured the floor. fill it up with coarse rocks to take up the bulk of the hole and pour an aggragate mix in it and smooth it even with the floor. don't use bricks because they are porous and will act as a sponge.

Comment

The square hole was put there in case a sump pump was needed at some future point. It is a good idea to put one in now. Check your outside downspouts to make sure they are extended away. This help alot.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =