Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing upstairs toilet.

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum. I was sent here by my pop (Mr. Captain Bob). After browsing around I understand why he speeks so highly of you all. My situation is that I want to tie a toilet drain into my excisting vent stack. My problem is that the vent is either 2.5 or 2.75 in. cast pipe. My understanding is 3in. is needed. I wondered if I could use a "macerator" type toilet instead of replacing everything with 3in. I should have mentioned this is a 2and floor project also.
    Thanks
    Busman68.

Have you actually measured the stack ?....2.5" or 2.75" seems like an odd size.
    Do you know if this stack is a wet stack or a dry stack ? A wet stack is one that has drain lines tied directly into it, a dry stack is a vent line that comes off a waste line.
    If it is in fact a 2.5" cast stack then I think your only option would be a maceration unit.
    Lazypup is the man you need to give you the exact codes.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

upstairs toilet

I assume the cast vent pipe is about 2.5in. because the previous owner extended it by sliding 3" pvc over top of it. I still would be intrested to know the smallest dia. allowed using a macerator type toilet. I don't know what type of stack it is yet. Dose wet or dry determin wether or not this can be done?
      Thanks for the help,
      Busman68.
      Last edited by busman68; 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Now I'm confused, just how is the 3" pipe slid over the cast pipe, what is sealing the joint ?
        I think a maceration unit can be plumbed to 2" pipe. Wait for Lazypup to post he's the expert in plumbing.

Comment

The simple answer is that it doesn’t matter if that stack is 1” or 20” under no circumstances may you use a macerating toilet.

Macerating toilets are under the broad heading of a “Sewage Lift Pump” and as such they may only be used in instances where the desired location is below the level of the house sewer & main drain where a drain line cannot be achieved by means of gravity flow.

In this case the proposed installation location is on a second floor so it would go without saying that the proposed location is well above the house sewer and main drain, therefore a gravity flow drain can be achieved, no matter how difficult that may be.

Comment

Well.....thats a good point !! I didn't even think about that, it stands to common sense though (that I failed to use in this instance) that a pump is involved for lift purposes.

Glad I told you to wait for the expert.

Comment

upstairs toilet

Pushkins, to answer your question, the pvc is slid over the cast. There is no rubber sleeve betweet the two. This was done by the previous owner.I don't know how it passed inspection when I bought the home. So I have no choice but to install a 3in stack and tie into the main, thats in the slab. That kinda stinks (no pun intended) but if thats what I have to do, I will.
              Thanks, Busman68

Comment

Working...
              X
              =