Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove bricks from walls? Please see picture.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove bricks from walls? Please see picture.

Hi, there's a 2 columns of bricks that go towards the roof where the fire place is. Can they be removed?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

They are some ugly bricks, they look remarkably like the ones used on my original fireplace. I ended up installing chipped face marble over the top to get rid of them.

In your case other information is required, is this a vented fireplace with a chimney ? is it gas or wood burning, are the bricks visible from the exterior ?

Even if they are removable your going to be in for a good deal of work assuming they are removable once removed (from the top down naturally) your going to have to remove the wall anchors that will be nailed from the wall framing to sit in mortar joints every 3'. Once that is done your going to have to cover this area with drywall and float out the mud,, this being a reasonably large exposed wall will make the mudding a very important process to avoid a horrible finish, if you haven't mudded before I'd suggest contracting that part out for a seamless finish.
    As another note remember you need to keep a minimum of 1' all the way around the fireplace of NON combustible material, you cannot (and should not) bring drywall all the way to the firebox.
    Last edited by pushkins; 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X