I have a rotten 2x10 or 2x12 under my group of windows in the front of my house. The board is one long piece. The windows are wooden with 9 individual panes each. The house was built in 1940. It looks like I have to take apart the frame around the windows outside before getting to this board. Any tips on how to get started? I will try and post pictures Saturday. I don't have that privilege yet.
Wood Rot Under Windows
Collapse
X
-
the windows are probably fastened to the studs on either side of the casing or the mullion [ the piece between two sets of windows] The external moulding needs to be removed first and probably the inside casing moulding too. once you remove this stuff check out the sill [2X whatever] for termite infestation. just poke with a screwdriver. punky wood will give way. the nails that hold the window will have to be cut using a sawzall and a metal cutting blade. take the windows out either separately or as a unit if you can and start to rebuild your sill. use pressure treated this time.
Trending
Collapse
-
by kemiyHello all. I'm in the midst of planning a much-needed makeover for my home's interior, and I could really use some expert advice and creative ideas. My...
-
Channel: Exterior Home Maintenance
-
Tag Cloud
Collapse


Comment