Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notches in joists

My plumber put notches in a about 10 joists for a 2 inche pipe and put them in the middle of the joists. Also at the end of the joists, there are 2.5 inch holes and a gas line going through. Beside the gas line holes are notches again for another pipe that is 2 inches. How much will this weaken my floor. Is it dangerous because the gas line is going through? I would appreciate any thoughts. I know code says that the notches should not be in the middle third span. Are the gas notches to big. By the way my joists are 2 X 8 and span about 12 feet. I want to make sure the floor is safe before drywalling the ceiling.

Thanks for any help.

here is an illustration you can share with your plumber

Comment

From you illustration it says that no notches are permitted at bottom if less than 4 inches thick. Many books allow nothces at bottom and most joists are 2 inches thick. Is my situation dangerous. It seems the gas line passes code, what about the notches?

Comment

Most joists are dimension lumber 1 1/2 or 1 5/8" thick NOT the full 2 Inches as you state. I'd follow Lazypup's drawings to the TEE.

Comment

Your local codes may vary, but most all the following for a 2x8" joist:

For a 2x8 joist the max hole is 2 3/8" and max notch is 1 1/4" in outer 1/3 of span, max end notch is 1 7/8". These notches can be on the top or the bottom, but preferred on the top.

This all per minneapolis, MN code:
          We can't find the page you are looking for. Sorry about that! Maybe the address is wrong? Take another look to make sure.

There are also usually requirments that these notches and holes must have a specified distance between them. Here's another link that'll address some of that:

From what you describe, sounds like your plumber did not conform to the standard building codes for your joist size. You should contact your local building code officials since the joist integrity could be compromised. There is a product that may remedy this called the joist reinforcer, though your local inspectors would be the ones to confirm this with. Here's a link that'll show you the details:

Comment

Kactus - where do you find all these reference web sites? Do you have a list of 'em all? Can you contribute anything from your experiences or do you do nothing but search for answers you can't give?

Comment

Hazy Old Boy, quite testy are we now! At least my answers are right, with proof to back em up. Looks like I did give the poster his information he was seeking which is more than I can say for you. What the heck did you tell the poster that was of any value to him with his problem? Were you just bored and felt like telling him a 2x is really 1 1/2"? Looks like maybe you're feeling a bit inadequate and hammering me with trivial garb in an attempt to discredit makes you feel better about yourself. Hey, get over it, these folks are here looking for answers and don't need to deal with your personal problems.

PS: Almost forgot, Before you go whinning to the administrator about this post, just remember, you choose this path we're on.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =